AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Comcast Motorola 5100 stb. Adelphia in our area is now providing HDTV using the moto 5100,.

My Questions is can I use my Comcast 5100 instead of renting one from Adelphia?

Is there any technical reason that the box can't be used?

·
Registered
237 Posts
No, you can't. The cable box has to be listed in their inventory so the system will recognize it. Since it came from another company, it won't be in Adelphia's inventory. So unless they let people purchase cable boxes, it won't work. By the way, did you purchase the box from Comcast? If not, you would have to return it anyway if you aren't with them anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adelphia has said they will allow private boxes in near future.

I bought a new box (one of a set of new ones) on ebay.

My real question is: Is there any reason the box can't be activated by adelphia if and when they allow private boxes? Is there some technical equipment related problem? I assume from your answer it is just a matter of them recording the relevant info into their system.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by socaldick
Adelphia has said they will allow private boxes in near future.

I bought a new box (one of a set of new ones) on ebay.

My real question is: Is there any reason the box can't be activated by adelphia if and when they allow private boxes? Is there some technical equipment related problem? I assume from your answer it is just a matter of them recording the relevant info into their system.
It won't happen. The new cable card STB's are a different concept.

The Moto 5100/6200/6208 are all two way addressable and can not be activated on other cable systems at will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess that a Moto 5100 is not a Moto 5100 is not a moto 5100 which means that I'm out of luck.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Ex Detroiter .... Socaldick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.