AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast San Francisco installed a Motorola 5100 box so I can receive HD on my new 43" Samsung DLP. I was not home to witness the install and as it turns out even the tech did not ensure that the system worked. [Really bad service, but that's for another thread] I cannot get a good signal using a component connection.

My Problem is that when using component inputs 2 or 3 on the Samsung and setting the 5100 to 720P resolution output and watching an hd source, I get what seems to be a good resolution picture, but with a color problem. I have red and green horizontal streaks/lines across the screen and in general a lack of color problem.

This does not happen when I switch back to 480i and non-hd sources.

THe 5100 is setup to output 720P/480i.

If I switch the 5100 to output 720P/480P, then I get the same green/red lines problem on all programing when using the component connection.

All other Samsung inputs are working fine and I have tried swapping cables just in case I had a bad one.

Obviously there is a problem with the component output setup or with the physical connection. Is it a problem with the Samsung or the Motorola? Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It may be a problem with the tv since it only happens on progressive, have you tried 1080i on the box and see how the tv does down scaling it to its native 720p?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ensure your cables are connected properly, Y to Y, Pr to Pr and Pb to Pb. Make sure your cables are good, does your DVD player work properly when viewing 480p material using DVD component connections? If your DVD player works properly with 480p and the same cables and the 5100 does not with 480p selected using these cables, then it may be the 5100.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input so far. I have tried the 1080i cable box output and I get the same results when viewing an hd source thru the component connection.

When viewing a dvd source with the same component cables in 480p, the picture is good--no problems.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
28,386 Posts
I don't know about that specific plasma, but some televisions have separate component inputs for "DVD" and "HDTV". It might have something to do with bandwidth differences, I forget. Try switching the component input you use and see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, this DLP set does have a separate component input that is 480i/p only and specifically for DVD. The clueless Comcast rep who installed the box originally set it up in that input and I thought that was the problem originally, but alas, that was not the case. The cables are good and they are plugged into the correct input.

More thoughts would be appreciated. Of course I will be calling Comcast now and I will post what happens next.

Thanks all so far.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hmm,

I'm out in the east bay and also had a 5100 installed last Friday on my Sammy hln437w. The 5100 is set to:

TV Type 16:9

YPbPr OUTPUT 720P

4:3 OVERRIDE OFF

The component cables are plugged into Component 2 input.

With this configuration everything works as expected, great HD, good digital channles and OK analog. I would try connecting to both Component 2 & Component 3. If the same problem persists I would bet that you have a bad 5100, it would be surprising if both component inputs on the TV had a problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply "stonecrd"

I was not home when Comcast came to do the install. They plugged the component cables into Comp 1 on the Samsung. [Mistake 1] Then they did not even bother setting up the service menu of the 5100. They left it at 1081/480i. I set everything to exactly your settings and still the same problems.

Comcast will be visiting me on Friday to check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.