AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Motorola DCT3416 HD DVR just broke and I'm having my wife go to the local Comcast office tomorrow.

Can someone give me a list of which boxes should she go for? I'm in Montgomery County, Maryland.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I'm subscribing to this because I sort of need to know the same thing (which to get; DCT, DCH, or DCX).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Here in the SF North Bay, we just swapped our DCT3416 for a higher capacity DVR and lucked out by getting Comcast's newest Motorola model, an RNG200N. This has a 500MB drive, 3D compatible, and is physically smaller than any of their other DVRs (only 12.5" W x 8.3" D x 2.5" H). It is apparently also compatible with Comcast's any-room-DVR service, which we don't have.

Funny thing is that the box is clearly labeled Motorola on the front, with the model RNG200N, but I haven't been able to locate any info or user's guide on this device.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb /forum/post/20918355

Here in the SF North Bay, we just swapped our DCT3416 for a higher capacity DVR and lucked out by getting Comcast's newest Motorola model, an RNG200N. This has a 500MB drive, 3D compatible, and is physically smaller than any of their other DVRs (only 12.5" W x 8.3" D x 2.5" H). It is apparently also compatible with Comcast's any-room-DVR service, which we don't have.

Funny thing is that the box is clearly labeled Motorola on the front, with the model RNG200N, but I haven't been able to locate any info or user's guide on this device.
http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comca..._userguide.pdf

It's actually an Xfinity/Cisco device custom made for Comcast.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/20918529

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comca..._userguide.pdf

It's actually an Xfinity/Cisco device custom made for Comcast.

Thanks for the link, but that's not the DVR I have. The RNG200N that I have has Xfinity and the Motorola bat-wing symbol on the front, and has touch panel controls (no hard buttons). See attached photo.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb /forum/post/20918578

Thanks for the link, but that's not the DVR I have. The RNG200N that I have has Xfinity and the Motorola bat-wing symbol on the front, and has touch panel controls (no hard buttons). See attached photo.

Odd. Two extremely different devices, each with the Xfinity label - one by Cisco/SA and one by Motorola - each with the same model number. Is that Motorola "bat-wing" a decal or actually part of the silkscreen?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/20918627

Odd. Two extremely different devices, each with the Xfinity label - one by Cisco/SA and one by Motorola - each with the same model number. Is that Motorola "bat-wing" a decal or actually part of the silkscreen?

It's part of the silkscreen. Also, "Motorola" is stamped into the top of the metal cover. There's also a paper label attached to the bottom of the box that shows "Motorola" and has the DVR model number listed as DCX3501.

Seems the customer service gal at Comcast wasn't kidding when she said "these are brand new".

Edit: I did a search on DCX3501 and after some digging, I found a user's guide. From the photo in the guide, it appears to be the same device as the RNG200N that I have.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb /forum/post/20918666

It's part of the silkscreen. Also, "Motorola" is stamped into the top of the metal cover. There's also a paper label attached to the bottom of the box that shows "Motorola" and has the DVR model number listed as DCX3501.

Seems the customer service gal at Comcast wasn't kidding when she said "these are brand new".

Edit: I did a search on DCX3501 and after some digging, I found a user's guide. From the photo in the guide, it appears to be the same device as the RNG200N that I have.

This is strange. Pace makes a RNG200N as well. It looks like your thumb print:

http://www.pace.com/documents/specif...g200n_spec.pdf
https://www.pace.com/documents/manua...9201-ug-en.pdf

And the Motorola:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...er%20Guide.pdf

Yup. Very strange.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb /forum/post/20918355

There's info about this on the DCX thread. I believe it was somewhere around the last 2-3 pages where I mentioned and asked about this same thing. There are manuals at both the Pace and Cisco website for that model # (and I see 'domino' gave you the links). The posts are somewhere around here .

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/20920660

There's info about this on the DCX thread. I believe it was somewhere around the last 2-3 pages where I mentioned and asked about this same thing. There are manuals at both the Pace and Cisco website for that model # (and I see 'domino' gave you the links). The posts are somewhere around here .

Clint,

Thanks. I had already looked at that thread. The user's guide that domino92024 linked to above appears to be the correct one for this device, although it identifies it by a different model #.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.