AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to the Starter Digital package, including HD. I would really like to get away from the Comcast STB rental fees. There always seems to be several Motorola STBs available on online auction sites. Does anyone have actual experience with purchasing and having Comcast "activate" them for use? I mentioned this to a customer no-service rep once and was told that they would not activate them, as they rightfully belong to Comcast and not the seller. While there is some truth to the matter, is this a canned answer or really the truth? If this is the case are these auction site units just being resold in a circular fashion with sellers just trying to recoup their losses?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzu83 /forum/post/16949252

... was told that they would not activate them, as they rightfully belong to Comcast and not the seller. While there is some truth to the matter, is this a canned answer or really the truth?

That's correct. And it's the truth.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzu83 /forum/post/16949252

If this is the case are these auction site units just being resold in a circular fashion with sellers just trying to recoup their losses?

Most likely they're from people who had Comcast (or TWC, or Cox or whoever) and canceled service and moved, or otherwise retained the box. It was never theirs to sell, but they do it anyway. I imagine some get resold when the new owners find they become a doorstop because the cable company won't activate them.

You're not going to get away from renting equipment if you want the cable tiers that have encrypted channels. You can minimize it with buying a TiVo with a lifetime subscription (~$600 up front) or a Moxi DVR (~$800) and rent a cableCARD for a few bucks. That's the best you can do.

Trying to buy a box for $50 or so and getting it to work is a fantasy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as I suspected. Although, I am not interested in receiving any encrypted channels. I have an HD Ready TV (no ATSC/QAM) tuner and am looking for an alternative to the rental fees. Newer TV's with the ATSC/QAM tuners are capable of receiving all of the channels that I am interested in. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Samsung makes a standalone QAM tuner, but they're getting scarce. I forget the model number. I think there are a small handfull of other standalones out there, or ones mated to an ATSC tuner. TiVos and Moxi DVRs I think also receive clear QAM, but there might be some issues with the guide not mapping or something. Research it first.

The only other thing I can think of that has them are DVD recorders, and not all of them have one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.