AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Comcast in NJ now or at some point in the future will carry HDTV?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
when pigs fly......

------------------

What is popular is not always right.

What is right is not always popular.

It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to speak and remove all

doubt.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Several months ago there was a thread about this. I have written to Comcast, called, e-mailed asking about HDTV. Their reply was that they had no plans for HDTV anytime in the near future. It really burns me that a few miles away, in Cablevision country, they get HDTV sports, etc. I don't know what else to do to light a fire under Comcast's lethargic rear! If you have any suggestions, I'm listening! -HMA.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Comcast is at the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to hi-def. Comcast is even less than miles away from Cablevision country..try a few feet across the border from me. I am in East Brunswick(Comcast) and adjacent to me is North Brunswick and Milltown which are both Cablevision served towns. Any wonder why The Wiz just moved out of EB to Milltown? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I too have called Comcast and had an interesting conversation with a rep. I was told that the only local hi-def programming was The Tonight Show! Uhm..No Mr. Comcast. There is HBO, Showtime, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc all providing digital programming at the very least and a reasonable amount of hi-def. The cable companies truly are clueless and I really wonder who is running them.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Guess the grass is always greener on the other side. In my part of NJ, we Cablevision people waited years to get OOL Internet while the Comcast people in the next town have enjoyed their @home. Those Comcast subscribers have had digital cable for some time, Cablevision hasn't even started deploying it on Long Island yet; I'm sure it will be quite a while before we see it here. As for HDTV, the only reason that any of their customers have it is because they are sending it to their "The Wiz" stores and haven't bother to block it from subscribers in the same geographic area. Of course we aren't lucky enough to get it in our town...

·
Banned
992 Posts
I bought an HDTV capable set, but I knew from the beginning that it would be a while before enough people had them to justify more program creation and carriage by multi-channel distribution companies.

There are far to many people in these forums with completely unrealistic ideas of how the real world works. Things don't instantly go from $3000 to $200 in cost. Company's can't spend all their profit so a very few people can benefit.

Comcast is making agreements to carry OTA HDTV in a few cities, just be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

·
Registered
675 Posts
David,

Your arguments make sense, except that they raise the question as to why Comcast, living "in the real world," can't be expected to carry HD, but TWC and Cablevision, presumably living in the same world, do carry it. The especially off-putting angle on this is that Comcast has had upgraded infrastructure for some time.

My expectation is that I'll probably have HD DVD (not anytime soon) before I get Comcast HD.

Claude

·
Registered
830 Posts
Claude,

I don't know about TWC, but Cablevision doesn't intentionally carry HD for customer consumption. It isn't listed on their rate nor channel lineup cards and is only available to a few lucky subscribers who have "The Wiz" stores served by the same cable headend. I live in an upgraded Cablevision town, but since my local Wiz is in Comcast served Holmdel, the HD signals are not available to me. Would you really rather have a cable company that misleads you by showing you wonderful HD sports when you buy a HD television at their stores, but then find that you can't receive that programming on their (recently upgraded) cable system when you get it home?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My experience with Comcast -

I was one of the first to try their Digital Cable in my area.

- No S-Video, I was informed that that the Composite was "not working at this time", it was !

- Truely bad PQ that's makes the worst of DirecTv look good, I could see the little boxes form each channel change. Some stayed visable at all times.

- Customer Service, which insisted that Digital Cable IS "better" than HDTV, and that was only the CSR's that had ever heard anything about HDTV.

As for Cable Modem service, our area was supposed to be up and running about a year and a half ago. It is not. They will charge $49, and $6.99 for each PC that runs on the Cable Modem.

Their conversion, PUSH, for Digital Subscribers has included strong Anti-DBS commercials that shoot down their own Digital Cable because it works similiar to DBS, costs more and looks bad.

* Their method for getting normal subscribers to upgrade.

1. Change half the channels that were in Stereo to Mono

2. Add, only Fox News the to analog lineup, increasing cost $2 per month.

3. Increase the PQ variation. Almost every month, different channels go up or down in quality.

Does this sound like they will make a rapid advance on HDTV ?

I am so glad I only get Basic Cable anymore. I wish that DirecTv would carry my locals. And, since here are plenty of mountains around here. I'm afraid that by next year, the HDTV over the air broadcasting standard (let's not get into that debate) may get a real test when all 5 local HDTV channels are up and running. I expect only two HDTV station will be able to be seen here.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't like Comcast. Their signal stinks, I still can't get a cable model and they are tricking people into digital cable (they only have a few digital channels available).

[This message has been edited by Joe_R (edited 04-22-2001).]

·
Registered
272 Posts
OK, OK, I am willing to concede that ALL cable companies leave something to be desired!

David B: do you know for a fact that Comcast is signing agreements for HDTV? Will that be carried in NJ? As I said in my earlier post, they showed no interest whatsoever in HDTV when I called and wrote.

Does anyone know what the cost to the cable company actually is to carry HDTV? Comcast locally has cable modem service (presumably the lines have been upgraded), and they don't have to produce any of the programming. I certainly would be willing to pay a premium price for HDTV cable service, since I could then get rid of DBS.

Finally, during the Stanley Cup Playoffs (now), it truly kills me to go to the Devils game, sit behind the TV cameras which are recording and broadcasting EVERY GAME IN HDTV, and know that I cannot get that beautiful picture at home. The fuzzy FoxSports NY picture is barely watchable on a big-screen TV-and that's with the DirecTV version! Forget about the cable version!!!

So, what can we do about all this?????????

-HMA

·
Banned
992 Posts
Uh, did you not even read my entire post?

HDTV is coming to some Comcast systems, and soon.

Thanks for agreeing with me and proving my point all in one post.

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaudeD:
David,

Your arguments make sense, except that they raise the question as to why Comcast, living "in the real world," can't be expected to carry HD, but TWC and Cablevision, presumably living in the same world, do carry it. The especially off-putting angle on this is that Comcast has had upgraded infrastructure for some time.

My expectation is that I'll probably have HD DVD (not anytime soon) before I get Comcast HD.

Claude

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes David_B

Any info on possible HD via Comcast in NJ would be welcome. I am considering switching from Dish to Directv just for HD. If Comcast is going to move on this shortly I would love to hear about it. TIA

·
Registered
185 Posts
Comcast personnel are either brain dead when it comes to HDTV, or they just flat out lie.

I gave up Comcast for Dish Network and looking back over the last 10 months, I'd do it all over again. I have been enjoying hi-def programming from Dish's own programming and Philly's DTV OTA channels via the Dish 6000 STB.

Dump Comcast immediately if you are a hi-def videophile. Even if you are not watching hi-def signals yet, the Dish standard def audio and video is better than Comcast.

------------------

Don Silinski

·
Registered
272 Posts
Unfortunately, it's slightly more complicated for some of us. I can get DirectTV standard def satellite, but not HD due to trees. I can get DISH HD signal, but not DISH SD, again due to trees. I MAY be able to get some OTA HDTV, but am not sure. Short of opening a small video equipment store, I'm not really sure what to do. Now I have Directv standard def, Comcast for most of the other TVs in the house, and DVD for when I actually want a good picture. BTW, SD Directv's picture can be amazingly bad at times, due to severe compression. So, true HD from Comcast would be much simpler for me. If only they are listening.........

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don,

I did the exact thing you did at almost the same time. As I have posted elsewhere, I can not get hi-def with Dish due to the multiple Dish requirement and the fact that 61.5 is almost perpendicular(looking into a hill) to 110 and 119. For standard definition I am more than happy with Dish. Still, when it comes down to it, if Comcast ever offers multiple hi-def channels and more digital channels, I will most likely switch back to cable.

If cable offered a digital out (coax or optical) and Dolby digital where available, digital picture across the board and hi-def...I would pay more to go back to cable...in an instant! Cable can be a Dish killer if they only had some guidance.

Now perhaps David could take this to e-mail since we don't have his e-mail address...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.