AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following setup:

Comcast DVR Onkyo TXS607 Receiver Vizio 37" HDTV

With this setup if I set the Onkyo video out to Auto or 780p or 1080p then the pictures are always stretched for 4:3 output and I can't make them normal width on the Vizio. Everyone looks a tad stockier than normal. If I set the video out to Through then the left and right sides are clipped... and if I set the video out to 480p then I can set 4:3 output to Normal Width.

I tried hitting the "HD Zoom" button on the comcast dvr and nothing appears to happen at any video out setting on the Onkyo.

So, I'm not sure what to do. My goal is to have 4:3 pictures shown at their normal width while widescreen/hdtv ouput is shown wide.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
turn the dvr's power off with the button on the front panel, then within 2 seconds, hit the menu button. this brings up a hidden menu, which will allow you to set how the box outputs sd and hd video. try different settings til you get what you need.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your Vizio canset and same its picture/size or aspect ratio settings separatly for each resolution it receives over each interface. On my vizio can set my Viewing mode to Normal when receiving 4:3 content to prevent it from being stretched or zoomed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/18311399

turn the dvr's power off with the button on the front panel, then within 2 seconds, hit the menu button. this brings up a hidden menu, which will allow you to set how the box outputs sd and hd video. try different settings til you get what you need.

My DVR does not have front panel buttons, nor rear... nor a flip panel that has them hidden. Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/0

Your Vizio canset and same its picture/size or aspect ratio settings separatly for each resolution it receives over each interface. On my vizio can set my Viewing mode to Normal when receiving 4:3 content to prevent it from being stretched or zoomed.

As I said before my Vizio only is able to reset the size to Normal if the Receiver's (Onkyo) output setting is at 480p. What is yours set at?

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
Can you disable the Onkyo output, and have it simply pass through what it receives? It may be better to use component video out to the HDTV instead of HDMI.

What model is the Comcast DVR. Check the bottom of the unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I tried setting the signal through the Onkyo to "Through" and it clips the sides of the picture... weird.

Still not sure what's going on... unfortunately, I wired this all up in the walls and patched them before ever trying it! Definitely something I'm not going to ever do again without testing it first.

The model of the DVR is a "Pace TDC577X"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts