AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cable guy came yesterday from Comcast to swap out our dct-2100 + HDD-200 for the new DCT-5100. While he was here, I asked him about HD in general, and here's what he said:

- He has done over 100 5100 installations in our area (Willingboro, Delran, Cinnaminson, etc.). I think it has only been available in our area for about a week (they waited for the firmware upgrade). He said not many cable guys are doing the installations, and even fewer people know how to do the necessary stuff back at the office.

- He says CBS wants Comcast to bill their customers $3/month for CBS HD, and then give that money to CBS. Comcast refused, and there is now a lawsuit over it. He also said that no Comcast customers anywhere are getting CBS, contrary to what I have seen reported here. Apparently there were also some technical problems with CBS, but those are now resolved and they are ready to go live with CBS-HD on channel 182 whenever the legal wrangling is resolved.

- He says there are nine (9) HiDef stations ready to go, but they do not have the bandwidth for them all. Says they need to do some rewiring to support more stations. Not sure which part of the wiring needs to be redone. I am skeptical of this statement, because all indications from this forum indicate the opposite (i.e. plenty of bandwidth but content not available).

- He was enthusiastic about the next generation box. He said it includes "Replay TV", cable-modem, USB, telephony, etc. Did not ask about a time frame, since I think he was overly optimistic about what is likely to be available.

Overall, I was skeptical of a lot of what he told me about the future HD situation. I would have been even more skeptical if not for the fact that he did an excellent job of installing the new box. Prompt, efficient, curteous, and did a great job.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.