AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony XBR 37", amazing picture, but when watching my Comcast through my Motorola cable box that is connected via HDMI the standard definition is still noisy.. I set my Motorolla on 1080i output, is there a better setting for better picture quality? I am considering DVDO to process the picture, any thoughts??

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubocki /forum/post/15434287

I just bought a Sony XBR 37", amazing picture, but when watching my Comcast through my Motorola cable box that is connected via HDMI the standard definition is still noisy.. I set my Motorolla on 1080i output, is there a better setting for better picture quality? I am considering DVDO to process the picture, any thoughts??

I have the Comcast Mot 6412 DVR and a new Samsung A650 TV. I tried an HDMI connection and played with all the different settings on the 6412 in the User Menu (Power Off>Menu). Never improved the PQ much, if any. I then switched to Component Cables and now have a great PQ. Go figure! And yes, my HDMI cable was a good one.

YMMV

·
Registered
17 Posts
Eh, comcast compresses their channel quite a bit. Mainly because in the Western PA area there are alot of old people. Alot of old people means they have alot of analog channels. Analog channels take up tons of bandwidth on comcast network. As far as i know comcast is migrating channel over to digital which take up 1/10 the bandwidth of analog. So the more channels they migrate over the more bandwidth they have to play with and the better picture quality they can push. Blame the fact that Pittsburgh has some 17% of their population being senoir citizens.
bad for us junkies.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
The actual resolution of most of ComCasts digital channels is only 528X480. Not even DVD resolution. And judging by the amount of noise that appears in the dark areas I'd say it's a pretty low bitrate too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.