AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung LCD televison and a Comcast HD box. For some reason, the Comcast remote does not work for app. 3-5 minutes when I first turn the televison on. It is very puzzling, but I have just learned to live with it. I've tried talking to Comcast and they were unable to offer any insight. Does anyone have any ideas why and/or how this could occur. I have determine that it is related to turning the TV on. When I turn the HD box on and off with the TV on, the remote continues to work fine. When I turn the TV off and back on while leaving the HD box on, it goes right back to the 3-4 minute time lag before the remote starts working.

??????????????????

Thanks in advance for any insights on this!

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you have Eco Mode / Power-saving Mode enabled on your TV, try disabling it. The light sensors on some TVs can emit IR (or it may be a side-effect of running the backlight bulbs at low level--I'm not too clear on the physics of it all) and mask the commands being sent from your remote control.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip...I can check that out. The thing is, the remote works perfectly after a five minute wait time, so I'm not sure this would be the issue as I'd expect the TV to emit such frequencies all the time. I saw another thread in which someone suggested that the box might be overloaded temporarily by back-lighting or some such thing when the TV is powered on. It really is quite an odd situation. I've gotten in a bit of a habit where, if I know I'm going to be watching TV, I will turn it on, mute the TV and come back when it has "warmed up". This does remind me though, that the mute and volume controls work fine on the remote at all times and are not subject to a five minute wait time.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
When the CFL backlights are first fired up, and in their 'warm up' phase, they emit much more IR compared to when they stabilize. Assuming that the cable box is farther back than the front of the TV, you are probably getting IR bounce off your back wall that's flooding the IR receiver in your cable box.

Concealing your cable box, and using a 'plasma proof' IR repeater to feed the cable box may help. Using a NGHP battery transmitter in your cable remote and feeding your cable box with the receiver's output may also work.

Jonathan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite /forum/post/19642869

When the CFL backlights are first fired up, and in their 'warm up' phase, they emit much more IR compared to when they stabilize. Assuming that the cable box is farther back than the front of the TV, you are probably getting IR bounce off your back wall that's flooding the IR receiver in your cable box.

That sounds like the issue that I am dealing with. Is there any type of material I could put on the wall right behind the receiver that would "scatter" the IR? I will also try moving the cable box forward as far as I can to see if this helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra /forum/post/19638120

I have a Samsung LCD televison and a Comcast HD box. For some reason, the Comcast remote does not work for app. 3-5 minutes when I first turn the televison on. It is very puzzling, but I have just learned to live with it. I've tried talking to Comcast and they were unable to offer any insight. Does anyone have any ideas why and/or how this could occur. I have determine that it is related to turning the TV on. When I turn the HD box on and off with the TV on, the remote continues to work fine. When I turn the TV off and back on while leaving the HD box on, it goes right back to the 3-4 minute time lag before the remote starts working.

??????????????????

Thanks in advance for any insights on this!

There could be 2 problems. The first is that if a Comcast remote ever seems like it's stopped working while the TV and cablebox are On, press the Cable button (only) on the very top of the remote.

Second, is it a new TV? 2008 Samsung "A" models, such as the LNxxA850 were notorious for too much IR. Check those threads in this forum under LCD TVs for simple work-arounds, such as placing a small piece of masking tape over a certain sensor. The work arounds might be for the Samsung remote, however, I forget the exact details. There are also a few specific threads with something like "Samsung LNxxA850 remote doesn't work" in the title. Some folks had to get an internal board replaced.

My 2008 Samsung LN52A860 may have an extremely minor problem IR problem. However, over the years, I've lowered my backlight to 3 (of max 10), and the problem seems to occur only when the set is turned on for the first time during the day. Finally, when I was fooling around with it 2 years ago, I noticed that it seemed worse if the room was completely dark. If I flipped on some lights, or opened the blinds, the problem was minimized.

So, since I don't want anyone ripping apart my beautiful TV, I just wait it out for about 3 minutes. PM me if you like, since I don't follow this forum regularly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you petern. I have been going insane trying to figure out why my Time Warner cable box wouldn't work with my Samsung TV when the lights were off. I figured it was broken and got a new one and the technician didn't even know what was wrong. I turned off the Eco mode and it worked. thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.