AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpted from Multichannel News, by Matt Stump

Comcast Corp. announced Monday that it is launching HDTV service in Denver/Boulder, Colo. (830,000 subscribers), making it the last of cable's top 20 markets to receive HDTV service.

The MSO was showcasing its eight-channel lineup at the Comcast Media Center Monday -- ESPN HD, Home Box Office, Discovery HD Theatre, the two In Demand HD channels, NBC affiliate KUSA, Fox affiliate KDVR and PBS affiliate KRMA.

The Motorola Broadband Communications Sector systems will roll out "DCT-5100" boxes.

Comcast said it will waive the $5 monthly equipment fee for HDTV through the end of the year to help jump-start business. There will be no additional charges for HD service.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
No CBS. No ABC. No Showtime.

What's the deal? Can anyone explain the issue where there are local affilaites that can shoot-down distribution?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes, it's pretty sad. And, what does that mean? Can I call today and order (I don't even have cable modem yet). (University, just North of C-470).

So $5 for HDTV hardware. Don't they currently charge $10 for a digital box? It that an additional $5?

Anyone famaliar with the DCT-5100? Does it have a firewire and DVI out?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discovery HD Theatre is available in Denver? Wonder if other Comcast systems around the country will pick it up as well?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just got the 'notification' email from Comcast that I signed up for ages ago, and in the email they indicate that Showtime HD IS available, although they do NOT mention Discovery HD.

Of course, nothing up on the comcastcolorado site yet.... Still, with no ABC and no CBS, it's a tough call.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Latest word from Comcast (service rep I called for more info) is that Showtime is IN, and Discovery HD is OUT. I'll probably order anyway. The only charge is the upgrade to digital cable since I just have analog right now, and that's $10 per month, plus installation. I'm assuming that the extra is for the digital cable service, not for the cable box. The box is included until the end of the year (big deal....). He did mention that he thought an agreement was close with ABC. Of course, without ABC, CBS, or Fox, the only football game that might be in HD is the Sunday night one on ESPN.

The DCT-5100 does have DVI and firewire capabilities, but both of these are currently disabled on the Comcast boxes. Apparently these are optional at the cable operator's discretion. (Edited to correct 5100 box capabilities.)

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...ducts/dct5100/

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gakon
Latest word from Comcast (service rep I called for more info) is that Showtime is IN, and Discovery HD is OUT.
Okay, thanks for the clarification - that's in line with Comcast's rollout across the rest of the country.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just in case anyone in Denver has been told by a Comcast rep that you are required to get Digital cable from Comcast before you can get the HD broadcast channels, they are wrong!

After 2 calls to Comcast I was finally able to get a CSR that knew I could get the local Denver channels in HD with just the basic analog cable package ($13.44/month) and the $5/month rental fee on the HD decoder box! The install costs $27.99 as well.

I already have Dish, which just launched their HD package today that includes DiscoveryHD, ESPN HD, HD Net, and HD Net Movies, so the only thing that I needed were the locals with the hope that ABC will be added in the next couple of weeks (that is the only channel that I cannot receive with an antenna).

Just wanted to pass the word for those looking to get just the broadcast channels, since I am pretty sure I won't be able to get iNHD or ESPN HD from Comcast with this setup.

Also, they are not booking any installs before 10/2 right now, because of "high demand" (how many installers do they have anyway?).

Steve

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I was told by more than one CSR that you had to get the digital cable package. I did not question this, but, since I'm already getting expanded basic, the difference is $10/month right now (+5 more/month when they start charging for the box next year). Since I don't have a dish, and since I hope that they'll be getting more channels overall (not just local or extra pay channels), this isn't so bad for me. My installation quote was $15.99.

I was able to get installation scheduled for this week. We'll see.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The fire wire on the 5100 is diabled.

I have decided that I WON"T be ordering HD from Comcast now. Motorola has fazed out the 5100. If Comcast is launching HD for the first time in Denver then they should be using the new 6200, not getting rid of the old stuff.

Allso they wouldn't be installing it untill after Oct. 1st now. I wanted it for The Broncos/Raides game Mon. night. It is said that they will have ABC up by then. I would have maybe gone and picked up the reciever myself but they don't alow self installation for a simple HD reciever.:rolleyes:

I guess we'll have to see who wins in the long run. Comcast & the 6200/6208 or Dish with 921 PVR. My guess is that Dish will win now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Comcast rep I talked with didn't know what brand or model decoder would be installed. I am scheduled for installation Thursday. Any chance of requesting STB with DVI output -- the newer Motorola?

If not, can STB with DVI-out be purchased from outside supplier which will decode Comcast HDTV, or am I stuck with whatever the installer shows up with?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I spoke with a CSR who confirmed the DTC5100. He knew about the 6200, but could/would not provide any information about when Comcast would start using them, if they would be more expensive, if we could just install it ourselves, etc.

JKM, if they call to confirm your appointment, you can try to request the newer boxes, but I wonder if they even have them available.

I can live with the component input from the 5100. I had an OTA receiver for a short while, and the picture was so much better than analog cable (when they were broadcasting true HD content), that the improvement by going to DVI will be marginal. I certainly wouldn't turn down a 6200, but then I would have to deal with the problem of switching cables on my HLN617W, since I have a DVI DVD player but only one DVI input on the DLP. Rough life.

I did not ask when ABC would be added to the HD lineup. It sure would be nice to have it by Monday night. Couch - it sounds like this isn't definite yet. Any more info?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.