AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently cancelled TV service through Comcast and coincidence or not, I noticed that immediately after that my streaming quality has suddenly gone to ****. My internet service through Comcast hasn't changed. I'm still on Blast (100+ Mbps down) and with my Roku3 ethernet connected to the router there is no way I should I have any problem immediately locking into a 1080 stream. But somehow since I've cut the cord I'm getting MLB.tv constantly reloading and the Roku downgrading the stream to compensate until the quality settles somewhere around a bad YouTube video from 10 years ago. Speed test is still confirming I'm getting the provisioned speeds but I can't help thinking it's only for the first minute or so of any download (ie. long enough to fool a speed test) and that beyond that the speed has been seriously downgraded. (Prior to cancelling TV, I never had a problem w/the Roku locking into and maintaining a 1080 stream).

Has anyone else experienced this? I'd love to know if there are tools available to run longer speed tests or any other way to confirm my suspicions about the speed being downgraded beyond the initial burst. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Log into a VPN and see if you still get the streaming issues - that would be indicative Comcast is throttling traffic from those sites. Now, that doesn't mean it's because you cancelled TV. It could be due to simple network congestion in your area/at a certain choke point in the entire network (of between you and whatever streaming service, through Comcast).

It's a whole big can of worms that you can't really prove one way or another why it's happening, if it is.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
There have been numerous reports of Comcast doing what you think they might be doing to you because you cut the cord of cable. Whether or not those reports are true, I can't say without gathering extensive evidence, but it IS Comcast you are dealing with.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! The BTSync test concluded there was no shaping going on however I can't get the Flash Video test to even run through to completion. I've tried on a couple computers and it runs for about 30 seconds and then just hangs.

In any case, the streaming quality seems a lot better since I reset the modem and router after I posted earlier. Since then I haven't had a single "reloading" or noticeable downgrade in quality. So maybe that's all it took. Although I don't know why I should have needed to reset anything, since my internet service didn't change. But whatever. As long as it works.

Thanks to the other posters who responded as well. I'll report back if this becomes an issue again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would investigate the most likely problem: The Comcast service rep could have screwed up your account and put you in the el cheapo package with "value" internet which seems as slow as a modem (I know, my dad got the slow internet package and even web pages load slow).

Did you confirm you still have the fast internet with Comcast?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts