AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone on this forum who is a happy satisfied Comcast customer, I seriously hope that you continue to receive excellent customer service and enjoy your service. My rant is not intended to bash Comcast, but rather to comment on how awful the customer service I received last night.

Last night I was all set to enjoy the college football NCG between Florida and Oklahoma. I went out to get some snacks and dinner. When I left home, at around 5PM my cable was working fine. When I come back home at around 630PM my cable is out. Every cable box in the house, not working. The weather outside is sunny and clear and thee has been no obvious signs of a mas cable outage in my area. Anyway, I call Comcast customer service in Atlanta and tell them that all of my cable set boxes are not working. The very nice lady on the other end tells me that there is a problem with my digital cable box and that it is most likely affecting my cable. She says she will ping my boxes with a signal to reset the boxes and tells me to unplug the cable box and wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in. She hangs up and I try her suggestions.

After trying what the lady told me to do, my cable is still not working. I have a message on my television that reads "This channel should be available shorty." I decide to simply run my cable straight from the wall into the television, and just bypass the cable box. Since the game was on fox I really didn't care if my cable was running through the box. Well still no reception. I again call Comcast. This time I get a clueless man on the other end who tells me that he has no idea what is wrong with the cable, but the problem must be on my end. I say fine. I ask when a technician will be available to come look at my problem. I am told I will have to schedule an appointment and the soonest appointment that is available is Monday morning, that's right 4 days away.

I tell the man that this is unacceptable as the cable was working fine before I left for dinner and now it isn't. There was no storm that came through the area and no massive cable outage. Finally I am put through to Comcast in Philadelphia. This is where things went downhill. I asked what was wrong with my cable and why it was going to take 4 days to correct. The very rude lady at Comcast told me that I was going to have to wait on hold since I couldn't call my local office. Anyway I waited on hold for a very long time. When I was finally taken off hold another rude lady told me that she couldn't answer my questions and told to call back my local Comcast office in Atlanta.

So again I call back Comcast in Atlanta. I ask to speak to a supervisor and when I get the supervisor on the phone he finally tells me that there was a small cable outage in my area and a technician had already come out and fixed the problem and closed the ticket. I told him that obviously the problem wasn't completely fixed because I still did not have cable. I asked the man if the technician would be coming back out to fix the problem, and the Comcast supervisor told me that the earliest they could have a technician out to fix my problem would still be Monday. I asked the supervisor several times what caused the cable to go out in the first place. I got no answer.

Anyway I have decided to cancel my service, effective immediately, and I have decide to order Directv which will be installed early next week. I ultimately made this decision because I am fed up with being lied to by Comcast. This has been an ongoing thing for a while now. They continuously avoid telling me what is going on when I have a cable outage. I have had several lengthy cable outages this past year and already another cable outage just 8 days into the new year. I have decided to not fight with these people any longer. Life is too short. Another plus is that my plan I ordered with Directv is ultimately cheaper than my $132.00 monthly bill with Comcast.

Comcast has lost me as a customer. Even though Satellite has it's problems, most notably when it rains, I would rather suffer through those intermittent problems, than continue to be treated like crap by Comcast. I was talked down to, yelled at, and hung up on by Comcast last night. Despite the fact that I have been with Comcast since they bought out Media One some ten years ago. If this is how they treat their loyal customers, then the hell with them.

I hope some people will have better experiences than I have had. But for me I just simply cannot take it anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hear ya, I have been a DTV subscriber for about 15yrs but most of my family has Comcast, and as I am the defacto A\\V and IT support tech I have had to work with them for TV and Data\\Voice issues. On 2 occasions the tech that made the house call was awesome- beyond awesome- and I even tipped one. But the phone support staff has been brutal most of the time. Hoping to get UVerse in my area for data\\voice and get off comcast, but still waiting.

Protip- for a total signal loss issue, if you mention you saw workmen outside earlies before you lost signal, it gets moved up the escalation tree quickly.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmgre /forum/post/15511209

I hear ya, I have been a DTV subscriber for about 15yrs but most of my family has Comcast, and as I am the defacto A\\V and IT support tech I have had to work with them for TV and Data\\Voice issues. On 2 occasions the tech that made the house call was awesome- beyond awesome- and I even tipped one. But the phone support staff has been brutal most of the time. Hoping to get UVerse in my area for data\\voice and get off comcast, but still waiting.

Protip- for a total signal loss issue, if you mention you saw workmen outside earlies before you lost signal, it gets moved up the escalation tree quickly.

The sad thing is I liked the programming options and packages that Comcast offered. Their on-demand service was also a great feature, but half the time on-demand didn't work so it was very frustrating not being able to use all of the features that the company offered. But having to wait four days for a tech to come fix a problem that they more than likely caused is unacceptable for me. I agree with you that the techs are knowledgeable in their jobs and they have been nice when they have come to fix my service, but the companys as a whole needs to really learn how to treat their customers.

·
Registered
27,418 Posts
I have U-Verse going to my place in 2 weeks. I don't care about the quality or anything... Bottom line, no more Comcast for me.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts /forum/post/15509690

Even though Satellite has it's problems, most notably when it rains,

Actually that issue is over hyped by the cable companies.

I live way up in the northwest almost at latitude 49. That makes for a very low satellite elevation and signal passing through maximum cloud density. It also rains more here than most places in the continental US.

I had Direct TV for five or six years back in the 90's and noticed cloud fade twice lasting a couple seconds each in all that time. A properly installed and aligned dish will not lose signal every time it rains.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 /forum/post/15587838

Actually that issue is over hyped by the cable companies.

I live way up in the northwest almost at latitude 49. That makes for a very low satellite elevation and signal passing through maximum cloud density. It also rains more here than most places in the continental US.

I had Direct TV for five or six years back in the 90's and noticed cloud fade twice lasting a couple seconds each in all that time. A properly installed and aligned dish will not lose signal every time it rains.

Thanks for for the information. I checked with my installer and he said that the problem can be corrected like you mentioned. So far so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts