AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a plasma display and got Comcasts STB 6200 HDTV ready box. The regular channels look like crap. The HDTV signals look good (amazing - so the display is perfect), but I also want to watch programming like CNN, Foodtv etc with some better quality. Should I get DirectTV or should I get a different STB i.e. like the LG LST3510A or Viewsonic HD12?

I have connected the component video output feeds from the STB to the display.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahu17
I recently picked up a plasma display and got Comcasts STB 6200 HDTV ready box. The regular channels look like crap. The HDTV signals look good (amazing - so the display is perfect), but I also want to watch programming like CNN, Foodtv etc with some better quality. Should I get DirectTV or should I get a different STB i.e. like the LG LST3510A or Viewsonic HD12?

I have connected the component video output feeds from the STB to the

display.
Before you do anything, call for a service call and see if the technician can find a reason for your problem. The Motorola boxes don't have a great analog tuner and some here are splitting the cable before the box and sending a separate feed to the TV through the RF input. That alone may resolve your problem.

Of note, adding your location to your post or ID will often help members offer you better advice.

GoIrish

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahu17

I have connected the component video output feeds from the STB to the display.
it's the TV, not the signal.

SD just looks like crap on high-res HDTVs.

·
Registered
22,269 Posts
Likely... but not gospel. SD can look fine on many HD sets.

Like mine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv123
it's the TV, not the signal.

SD just looks like crap on high-res HDTVs.
Respectfully, this is not good advice. Most likely what you stated is not accurate and newbies come here for helpful advice, not rhetoric for the uninformed.

GoIrish

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My SD signal is horrible on my HDTV, it's not much better on our 27" sony but not nearly as noticeable. I've had Comcast out quite a few times and they're never able to fix it. HD comes in great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, would ditectv give me better signals - they claim everything is digital. Is this true? are they broadcasting in 480/720/?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish
Respectfully, this is not good advice. Most likely what you stated is not accurate and newbies come here for helpful advice, not rhetoric for the uninformed.

GoIrish

comcast DOES NOT have weak SD signals surrounding the digital ones. it doesn't. what the poster is describing is classic for what i told him. those of us with comcast and digital TVs have tried everything- it's not the STB. you can run a line directly to the TV and both images are identical. you can run it directly to your HTPC and it is identical. i've tried all of it, as have many others. it's a rather fleshed out core understanding of HDTV.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Likely... but not gospel. SD can look fine on many HD sets.

Like mine.
Ditto.

I've had 2 Moto boxes since January '04. From the beginning, I decided to split the cable before the cableco box to directly feed the analog cable channels to my set.

YMMV

·
Registered
671 Posts
I improved my comcast cable in SF Bay Area by using a Motorola Signal Booster amp. Lousy cable channels now look great. No STB. Sent that back five years ago due to terrible SD picture quality out of the box. Raw cable was a better picture. YMMV.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the same problem, crappy normal/analog channels and great HDTV. I just played the TV, so I haven't played with it much, but I don't know really where to start (I do use 4:3 for normal (CNN/HDTV/FoodTV, etc.) channels.

For those that split the cable directly into the TV, do you change the input on the TV depending on the channel (i.e. HDTV channels switch TV to component/HDMI in vs. ant/cable for normal channels)? That would seem like a pain in the a*s.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
... For those that split the cable directly into the TV, do you change the input on the TV depending on the channel (i.e. HDTV channels switch TV to component/HDMI in vs. ant/cable for normal channels)? That would seem like a pain in the a*s.

Thanks!
My set has its own analog tuner, so my hook up merely gives it independent access to a cable signal. I merely scan to the input with my remote. Appropriate for news, etc. not for CSI. For those digital only channels, I use the signal from the cableco box.

YMMV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.