AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,755 Posts
Lucky you have Cablevision. If I could I would move to a place that can get it.

I hope this does not get approved but like the XM Sirius merger it most likely will and since I have absolutely no competition in my area I am stuck with Comcast. I am worried about poor Netflix performance and data caps.

· Registered
255 Posts
I am currently a Time Warner Cable customer and this scares the hell out of me. Data caps and throttling are what is in store for millions nationwide unless this nonsense is stopped.

Reactions: reddice

· Registered
19,345 Posts
The FCC currently has a 30% ceiling to prevent a company from holding sway over too much of the country .. so Comcast will divest enough market share to drop under the cap .. and then likely lobby to increase the allowed percentage .. their Chief Lobby guy was a guest at the dinner the other day at the White House for the French President ..

It's pretty likely the deal will go thru ...

Reactions: mailiang

· Registered
690 Posts
I also have Time Warner Cable for just tv service & i read on stopthecap.com Comcast Charges way more for all the same services Time Warner has. Even though most consumers will say no to this deal i have a bad feeling it will be approved & if that happens i'm switching to Satellite TV before comcast gives me a contract i can't get out of.

· Registered
760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn  /t/1517638/comcast-time-warner-cable-deal-is-a-disaster-for-customers#post_24356799

The FCC currently has a 30% ceiling to prevent a company from holding sway over too much of the country .. so Comcast will divest enough market share to drop under the cap .. and then likely lobby to increase the allowed percentage .. their Chief Lobby guy was a guest at the dinner the other day at the White House for the French President ..

It's pretty likely the deal will go thru ...
My understanding is that the 30% cap was proposed but never enacted. However comcast is claiming that it will divest enough to get down to 30% anyway.

· Premium Member
37,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler  /t/1517638/comcast-time-warner-cable-deal-is-a-disaster-for-customers/0_100#post_24412410

My understanding is that the 30% cap was proposed but never enacted. However comcast is claiming that it will divest enough to get down to 30% anyway.
I'm pretty sure that's correct, I remember commenting on that either here or in another thread just recently. It's very likely that there will be systems that Comcast doesn't want anyway, that are not contiguous with existing systems for example, that they'll divest and it will get them down to 30% anyway, which will also make them look like a good corporate citizen to the regulatory agencies.

· Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
2,755 Posts
What date are they going to vote for the merger?

· Registered
2,755 Posts
Comcast said by this time they would have merged with TWC but still nothing. I think this merger is dead in the water. I hope so.

· Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Sounds like its all over: FCC Said to Join DOJ Opposing Comcast-Time Warner Cable Deal

“I’d never say anything was 100 percent dead, but this is in the 99 percent category,” Rich Greenfield, an analyst at BTIG in New York, said in a phone interview. “It’s not every day that you have a transaction that is universally hated by everyone outside of Philadelphia,” where Comcast is based.

Reactions: Mr.G

· Registered
2,755 Posts
I heard that Comcast wants to buy Cablevision if the merger fails. Too think last year I was so jealous of your internet Ian.

· Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I heard that Comcast wants to buy Cablevision if the merger fails. Too think last year I was so jealous of your internet Ian.
Dolan isn't selling anything. There's also speculation that they have their eye on Netflix. It's all nonsense.

Ian ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.