AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is old news, but I heard from a Comcast CSR today that the company will begin encrypting the 2 network affilate HD signals it carries in the Baltimore area, so people can't use Mits QAM tuners and simply demod off the cable.

Bob

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Do you have any more info about these Mits QAM tuners. Are they stand alone or are they integrated into the TV. I would really like to be able to pick up the local HD channels in Las Vegas but $50 a month is stopping me. If I could just get one of these and expanded basic that would save me a ton of money.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Comcast's action in Baltimore seems contrary to the FCC's desire that the local digital stations be available at the most basic level of cable service.

I think the intent was that basic subscribers would eventually be able to receive these channels with a "QAM cable ready" TV, and not have to rent a cable box just to get the local digital channels.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mentioned that to him, and his reply was that the analog versions were available on the basic level, but the digital channels were part of the "digital" package. I countered with the fact that the local DTV channels were not premium channels and were freely available OTA. It sounds also sounds like a possible violation of the 1992 Cable Act. I think it comes down to why would comcast give away for free what they can charge $50/mo for? And for whoever asked about Mits, I think their tuners are only available as intergrated units, not STB. I just know they can demod QAM; I dont own any Mits gear.

Bob

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. Encrypting OTA TV channels, HD or NTSC, sounds like it should be illegal. Im going to take a look at the FCC's site and see how to file a complaint.

bob

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dycus
Sounds like maybe the plug in module for Dish 6000 that picks up DiscoveryHD might decode that cable signal.
I don't think so, as the 6000 module is for 8PSK from the sat, not encoded QAM from antenna/cable in.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lvthunder
Do you have any more info about these Mits QAM tuners. Are they stand alone or are they integrated into the TV.
They are part of the DTV tuner built in to the new Mitsu HDTV's, or also part of the Promise Module, which works with specific older Mitsu HDTV Monitors.

·
Registered
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lvthunder
Does anyone know of a box that I can buy that will decode QAM?
Not right this minute, but soon QAM cable boxes should be available for sale at your local electronics stores, just like DirecTV / Dish Network stb's.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Does anyone now if I buy one of these boxes in the future will I have to pay the cable company more than just for expanded basic.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
If Comcast is allowed to get away with this they will have EVERYBODY by the cojones. They are now the largest cable TV provider in the country.

·
Registered
45,648 Posts
I've spoken with my contacts at Comcast, which are a lot higher up the food chain than a CSR. They can't comment officially, but are very sure this is just a rumor and nothing more. I'll have more on this in the near future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to make sure I understand. If you subscribe to Comcast basic/expanded service and you have a Mits Integrated Tuner or the pending Promise Module, you can receive the local HD channels without a HDTV cable box?? I live in Howard County, MD.

·
Premium Member
8,688 Posts
The bought AT&T and immediately raised the price for limited basic (local OTA channels only) from $9 a month to $13 here. Thats why I have an antenna :)

·
Registered
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nathj
Just to make sure I understand. If you subscribe to Comcast basic/expanded service and you have a Mits Integrated Tuner or the pending Promise Module, you can receive the local HD channels without a HDTV cable box??
I don't know what the service tier is called, but the local DTV channels that Comcast carries are available and can be received with the Mitsu QAM tuners. This does not include the premium HDTV channels, like HBO & Showtime.

You'll need to verify the Mitsu tuner is QAM capable, as the ones in the newer integrated HDTV's & Promise Module are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.