Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I know this could also be posted to the HDTV forums but I spend most of my time here and want to get input from LCD projector people in particular.

On the front page today's Trenton Times Business section is an artical stating Comcast Cable will offer HDTV to its digital cable subscribers in my area this Thursday.

Currently I pay $40/mnth for "regular" cable (no HBO, Showtime etc), but for $50/mnth digital cable with HDTV (plus $10.95/mnth for digital tuner) I should sign up in a heartbeat right?

I have a Sanyo XW-15 LCD XGA proj (HDTV ready, no DVI in), and would love to have the Superbowl, Masters, Sopranos (hopefully) in hi-def. If Speedvision starts broadcasting HD F1 Races I would be in heaven.

I'm pretty sure my proj can handle up to 720p but am checking with Sanyo.

Can anyone give me a reason not to go for this? I live in an apt. so a dish/antenna isn't a feasible option.

This looks like it would do away with my need for a DVDO or Quadscan's de-interlacing function too. Now I'd just need a prog. DVD player and not have to worry about doubling NTSC cable signals.

Does anyone know of a source to buy a digital tuner for less than the $300 Comcast will charge? Ebay turned up nothing.

thank you for considering,

Kurt

Trenton, NJ

PS - I had a Halloween party on Saturday and after the Yankees fans got sick of watching their boys get stomped on the HT I popped in "Carrie" and then Wes Craven's "Dracula 2000". Only downside is that half the party was planted on my couches glued to the screen in awe for hours..... forgot about the opening shower scene with Sissy Spaceck though :eek:

Watched Braveheart and IMAX Hidden Hawaii last night: simply spectacular.....

·
Registered
728 Posts
"If Speedvision starts broadcasting HD F1 Races I would be in heaven."

If ESPN resumed F1 coverage, I would be merely in purgatory. F1 was one of the main reasons that I went the projector route, (Only to find that SpeedVision, which we, and most people in the US, don't have access to, bought the rights...), F1 in HD, on local broadcast, is heaven...

"Does anyone know of a source to buy a digital tuner for less than the $300 Comcast will charge?"

Considering the cost of the RCA and Samsung cable/OTA boxes, that's pretty reasonable. The AccessTV HDTV PC card goes for around $400- still way too much, and not Mac compatible. HDTV is not going to catch on in any sort of a big way when you can by two complete 27" TVs for the price of a HDTV tuner...

apg

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by apg
(Only to find that SpeedVision, which we, and most people in the US, don't have access to, bought the rights...), F1 in HD, on local broadcast, is heaven...
Speedvision is available on both of the satellite services (DirecTV and Dish Network).

So, what stations are they sending in HD??

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
apg - I am waiting for my DVD "F1 year 2000" to arrive from the UK after I won a recent Ebay auction. Supposedly every race from the '00 season with variable camera angles (also can buy from Amazon UK). A little late to be sure for you non-Speedvision getters, but I'll be looking real close at the turn 1 stands from the US GP at Indy for the red Phillies cap I was wearing there at the time...

Suppose I should sign up for the $11/mnth rental - in a year the HD tuners will probably be >$100...

APG wrote:

"HDTV is not going to catch on in any sort of a big way when you can by two complete 27" TVs for the price of a HDTV "

Yeah but you'd need 12 27" TVs to match the image area of my LCD PJ :cool:

I keep trying to convince my father to get a dish so he can get Speedvision - then I wouldn't have to tape ever damn race for him. Next season he'll be at my place every other Monday night for the rebroadcast on the HT...

You should consider a dish if you like motorsports. SV has good F1 commentary and lots of vintage auto racing (the Goodwood FOS shows that just aired are great - I was there in '00). Just keep your fingers crossed that now the FOX owns SV it won't become the NASCAR channel

Kurt

·
Registered
728 Posts
"You should consider a dish if you like motorsports."

Tried it with a friend's DishTV system- we couldn't pick anything up because of the ridgeline running south of my house- it averages about 20 degrees elevation by sextant. Other neighbors on my street have not been able to get minidish to work either.

Another friend in a neighboring town gets speedvision on cable, but I have ATT, and in our neck of the woods, they do _nothing_ to improve programming or service. Well, they did get rid of the rotating camera that read the weather instruments, and replaced it with a Windows machine that fails to read it's weather sensors. It crashes fairly often, and sometimes they forget to shut off the cable feed while rebooting- more fun than watching the moving brown bands on AMC.

This is mostly why I'm interested in OTA- I can pick up the Sutro UHF signals with a modest Yagi at chimney level, aimed WSW.

Also, for the time being, OTA is FREE!

"in a year the HD tuners will probably be >$100.."

I think that you mean "

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.