·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Dark_Slayer

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Big thanks for posting. Hope it will work for me, office closed until 10amCST. I already have double play w/ blast. Extreme 105 would be icing. I've been contemplating just dumping TV and using the difference for 105, I guess they pre-emptively wanted to keep those of us who were in that boat within their cable tv subscription count

Just remembered how poorly Comcast treats those of you in ATL, at least they do some things right from time to time

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Any results yet?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing for me, but I'm still under 24 hours. I just did a remote desktop connection from my phone to my home server and ran a speed test. Still shows my 50/10 speeds.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24416762

Nothing for me, but I'm still under 24 hours. I just did a remote desktop connection from my phone to my home server and ran a speed test. Still shows my 50/10 speeds.

Jump Desktop?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24419011

What is the purpose for this ?

To get your 50 Mbps internet to 105 Mbps for free.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade/0_40#post_24419425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24419011

To get your 50 Mbps internet to 105 Mbps for free.
Nothing is free. They're banking on you not cancelling when they start charging for it.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade/0_100#post_24416762

You are in one of the central locations where this should definitely apply to

Did you reset your modem? If motorola, you can use 192.168.100.1 then go to the configuration tab and use "Restart Cable Modem" at the bottom of the page

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade/0_100#post_24419011

Dude, what the heck?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24419715

Did you reset your modem? If motorola, you can use 192.168.100.1 then go to the configuration tab and use "Restart Cable Modem" at the bottom of the page

Edit:

Dude, what the heck?

I have Blast Plus. It is Blast internet with Economy TV. It isn't considered a Double Play package so I'm probably not able to receive it. The deal is that Double and Triple Play plans will have their internet speed bumped to the next level by either calling and getting it now or waiting for the end of March for it to happen automatically. My goal was to get my Blast Plus up to 105 without getting a higher priced package.

And yes, I've restarted my modem plenty of times since yesterday. BTW, your method doesn't work on Zoom modems since it doesn't have the Restart option. My older Motorola SurfBoard had the option. I just have to manually unplug it and plug it back in. I've also ran Speed Test enough that I'll use up my 300 GB data cap on that site alone.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24421187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24418177

Jump Desktop?

There's also the official RDP client from Microsoft for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android

Works pretty well in my experience.

That's pretty new. I didn't know it existed. Jump works pretty well but doesn't handle swapping to another app on the phone and back very well. I got Jump for free a while back but it looks the MS app is free too.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24421259

That's pretty new. I didn't know it existed. Jump works pretty well but doesn't handle swapping to another app on the phone and back very well. I got Jump for free a while back but it looks the MS app is free too.

I've also mostly switched over to the MS app too. It is easier to put it on other tablets since it is free.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24419577

Nothing is free. They're banking on you not cancelling when they start charging for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24419715

Edit:

Dude, what the heck?

I finally got my upgrade in Kennesaw, GA. It was almost 48 hours since calling the 1-888 number so I called 1-800-XFINITY and went to the sales/upgrades option. Told them I had called two days ago about a free upgrade from Blast 50 to Extreme 105 and was told it would be 24 hours and nothing has happened.

She first said she didn't see anything, but then must have spotted a note and said something about needing a different gateway. I said I had a proper modem (Zoom 8x4 channel DOCSIS 3.0) and even had the service for a few months last year. She said that was fine and had to dig up the proper code and activated it. I had 105 by the time I hung up the phone without even rebooting the modem (rebooted anyway later). I double checked that it was free and she said no, it was a $10 upgrade fee. I'm fine with that since I only have Blast Plus (Blast 50/10 with Economy TV) for $55/mo. Now I guess it is $65 per month.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3338989080

Reactions: BillJulyan

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
My little horror story so far:

2/27 - (888)228-0063 phone order - rep confirmed my account qualifies and my modem qualifies. Completed sign up. Need to wait 24hrs.

2/28 - 24hrs not getting new speed. reboot modem. no change.

3/1 - 48hrs still not getting new speed.

1. chat with tech support- claimed area outage, then claimed not showing on my account. transferred...

2. chat with sales - claimed I need another modem and the fee for tech to come install is $250. Declined.

3. (888)228-0063 phone order - rep claimed not available in California. goodbye.

4. (888)228-0063 phone order - rep confirmed my account qualifies and my modem qualifies. Do not need different modem installed, do not need tech visit, and there is no fee at all. Completed sign up. Need to wait 24hrs... again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for sharing the news on the Extreme upgrade. I just called the 800 number posted by the OP and had a quick 10min conversation and got upgraded to Extreme for same cost as Blast no questions asked. Now in the 24hour waiting period for the upgrade!

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24425107

My little horror story so far:

Wonder how those newly acquired Time Warner people are gonna feel...............

I have the "double play" with performance internet which is OK for me.

The only "NEED-FOR-SPEED" I desire is to hurry up and win some big $$$ from the lottery.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Internet bill plus digital starter plus dvr was $110 - jumped to $131. Some discount expired. Internet speed was 20-25.

Asked what we could drop to get a better price. This was about 3/12/14 in Oakland, ca.

Wound up with something called "Blast Plus" for $79!! Internet speed sometimes now hits double - but usually 25-35. Usually 10up. The first few days did hit 50 but haven't seen that last few days.

Main channels we lost were sports channels (ESPN and local) and a few seldom watched channels like MSNBC and TCM.

HOWEVER - just realized with Comcast's TV2go feature we can get almost everything - some of it live because we have another account at a place where almost everything from Comcast is included in HOA fees. Using a laptop w. Chromecast we can watch all we don't have in Oakland on the big plasma screen - don't have to watch it on a tablet.

We probably would have kept paying the $110 forever. Thanks to them trying to jack the rates by over $250/yr. we are now saving $372/yr. from what we were paying and saving $600+ from what they wanted to get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright, so, I've been trying to find some reliable information about this for a couple of hours now. I used to download (depending on the source) at around 1.1Mbps, solid. The highest it would ever go is 1.3Mbps. So, over the last two days or so, I've seen it go from 1.3 to 2.4-2.7. No signs of slowing down either (I'll keep my fingers crossed since my bill hasn't gone up). Any reason why? I know I'm not on one of their dandy special plans or anything. I just have internet through them.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectingSoul  /t/1520003/comcast-xfinity-free-double-speed-upgrade#post_24708988

Alright, so, I've been trying to find some reliable information about this for a couple of hours now. I used to download (depending on the source) at around 1.1Mbps, solid. The highest it would ever go is 1.3Mbps. So, over the last two days or so, I've seen it go from 1.3 to 2.4-2.7. No signs of slowing down either (I'll keep my fingers crossed since my bill hasn't gone up). Any reason why? I know I'm not on one of their dandy special plans or anything. I just have internet through them.

It sounds like your area got a free speed bump. Go to www.speedtest.net and run a test and compare those results to plans offered in your area.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts