AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, Comcast installed cable to my home along with the Motorola 5100 HDTV box. By reading this forum ahead of time, I became aware that some of the 5100s come with a DVI port and some do not. I specifically requested a box with the DVI output when ordering the service and reconfirmed it the day before installation. Nonetheless, when the technician arrived he brought the non-DVI version.

I realize that Comcast has not enabled this function as of yet, but would like to have the right hardware on hand when they do. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so did you succeed in having Comcast swap the DTC 5100 units? They claim that the new 5100 units with DVI are not available; however in viewing the comments of others in this forum, I think otherwise.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think honestly it really depends on your area whether they have the DVI boxes yet or not. The other thing is when the tech leaves in the morning they just issue him a batch of boxe's he has no choice as to wheter it has this or that. I wouldn't count on DVI being enabled anytime soon on the 5100's. I do however think that when the 6200 & 6208 start going out they will be put out with the DVI enabled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've actually gone through 3 HD decoders with Comcast. The first being the external-boxcar unit, which was terrible. The second unit was a 5100 without DVI. During a service call, unrelated to the HD decoder, a Comcast tech brought with him a new 5100. I happened to notice it had the DVI port and asked to trade. The technician said sure, and now I've got a new 5100 with DVI. Fat lot of good it does me however, since it's not enabled, and nobody at Comcast seems to know if or when it will be enabled.

P.S. - They still haven't given us CBS in HD, every time I talk to them I request it. They keep blaming CBS :(

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
Comcast is a nationwide company. Their service and equipment can vary from location to location. A search in the HDTV Locals forum for others in your area with Comcast should turn up some info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.