AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the RF Bypass on the RNG110? I'm curious to exactly what it does.

I see an Ethernet port and USB port on the back. Any speculation as to what these are for.

Edit: I saw this note (see below) on another forum that I thought was interesting. Not clear on how this was done or how it exactly works but I like the idea and would like better FM reception for my receiver.

Not totally on topic but I used the RF bypass to run my cable signal from my Pace to my AV receiver for FM channels. Worked for my application, didnt need to add a splitter. Might help someone else out. Cheers

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBMongoos /forum/post/18121761

Has anyone used the RF Bypass on the RNG110? I'm curious to exactly what it does.

It's the same cable RF signal coming out as goes in, so if you need it for a second use, there it is.

Quote:
I see an Ethernet port and USB port on the back. Any speculation as to what these are for.

Future use, including Internet sourced content for Ethernet, and keyboard control and/or upgrades for USB, and external storage for both.

But, don't bank on anything until it actually happens. There are 5 year old cable boxes with the same connections that have zero functions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18122201

It's the same cable RF signal coming out as goes in, so if you need it for a second use, there it is.

How do you set this up to use it then? I know how to enable/disable the feature in the Pace box. I'm not sure I'm clear on your answer. I understand what you're saying but....

Any idea on that FM note?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm confused. My RNG110 only has a coax connector with RF in - no coax out, just the HDMI, component, etc.

I also looked at the RNG110 operators manual I DL'ed from Comcast and there's no mention of this...not even enabling/disabling as the other poster mentioned.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBMongoos /forum/post/18122245

How do you set this up to use it then? I know how to enable/disable the feature in the Pace box. I'm not sure I'm clear on your answer.

What other use for the cable signal do you have?

You could send it to your HDTV, assuming it has a QAM tuner, for reception of local HD channels. Since you already get them from the cable box, unless your HDTV has PIP capability, it serves little use except as a backup in case the cable box has problems.

If you were still using a VCR, you could record the channel the cable box was on.

In most cases you would not use the RF output.

Quote:
Any idea on that FM note?

You could try using the RF output for FM reception. Years ago many cablecos let FM frequencies pass on their systems, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. You'd have to try it to know.

·
Registered
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 /forum/post/18131352

I'm confused. My RNG110 only has a coax connector with RF in - no coax out, just the HDMI, component, etc.

I also looked at the RNG110 operators manual I DL'ed from Comcast and there's no mention of this...not even enabling/disabling as the other poster mentioned.

Not all cable boxes have the same configuration. Some may have an RF output, some may not, even for the same model.

With the Motorola DCT series, the RF module is attached externally to the back of the box.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18131821

Not all cable boxes have the same configuration. Some may have an RF output, some may not, even for the same model.

With the Motorola DCT series, the RF module is attached externally to the back of the box.

I'd like to have an RF passthru on my RNG110 STB which was the model in the thread title, and I'm aware various STB's may have different outputs, but I was surprised to read that models of the same box may have different outputs. Thanks

·
Registered
45,766 Posts
Here is an image of two Motorola DCT boxes, on top of what I think is a cable modulator.

The top box is without the standard RF device, the second box is with the RF device, and in front of the modulator on the bottom is the back side of a RF device.

The RF device on the middle DCT has no output.

Here is an image of an older Motorola DCT box with an RF device that has both input and output.

The RF device is external to the DCT boxes, and as you can see comes in different configurations. I don't know about the RNG boxes, but based on what's been posted here, they also can be with RF output, or not. I don't know if they are configured like the RNG boxes, or simply have RF connectors in the back panel, due to the lack of RNG images available on line.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/18138825

The RNG110 only has an RF in (no RF output). Here is a link to a discussion about the box which includes a link to the manual for this box:

http://www.howtocomcast.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37

Exactly! That's why I'm thinking the OP confused the model number as the box has no RF out or anything about RF bypassing in the manual (or else I misunderstood what was being asked).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:Originally Posted by PaulGo

The RNG110 only has an RF in (no RF output). Here is a link to a discussion about the box which includes a link to the manual for this box:

http://www.howtocomcast.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37

Exactly! That's why I'm thinking the OP confused the model number as the box has no RF out or anything about RF bypassing in the manual (or else I misunderstood what was being asked).

My RNG110 has both an RF Cable In and an RF To TV.

It looks just like this, except without the Comcast logo.

However, as already noted, there seems to be various different features on these STB's even though they have the same main model number (RNG110 in this case). I can't find an on-line manual for the type with the RF To TV output, and I am trying to find some info exactly about that (unique?) feature.

Does it simply repeat (pass thru) the RF signal from the RF Cable In? Or is it like a VCR, and will output an RF signal that's basically the SD composite video+audio? If the latter, how would one select the RF channel, since there is no CH2/CH3 switch?

The reason I am asking might seem strange, but typically if it is just a passthru, the two RG59 connectors are located right next to each other. Whereas, on this unit, the second RG59 connector is over mixed in with other outputs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.