AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am spending a lot more time wearing headphones, and would like to get a set that are very comfortable.

Any ideas? As they will mainly be used for playing games through, sound quality is not paramount.

thanks.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I use Denon AHD-750 for my movie watching, I have Sennheiser 500 for TV watching, Sennsheiser is more comfortable, Denon has a low 30 ohm impedance which I hear Dolby Surrond movies with (Dolby Headphone), I have the same device Larry Davis has 5 sounds into head phones; so I don't disturb anybody in my 57 apartment building. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since you're located in the UK, Richer Sounds has some good deals on Sennheiser headphones. I got a pair of HD600s from there for £99, very comfortable as well as being high quality. I believe the HD580s are around £80, similar to the HD600s but with different ear pads.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I spent a few hours auditioning headphones for long term wear one day. Ended up with a pair of Sennheiser's.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well, no one else has mentioned them but I find the Grados to be quite comfortable.

They don't put three inches of foam on their phones like Senn does. However, they weight way less then the Senns do. Personally when I went to demo my phones the HD600s gave me a head ache after an hour or so. I decided to go with the Grado SR325s and find them to be quite comfortable even after 4+ hour long listening sessions (I wear them pretty much non stop while working at my computer).

The sound quality for comperably priced models is similar but different. I suggest that you give both a try before decideing.

If you like the HD600s try the Grado SR225s and SR325s. The 225s have about 90% of the sound quality of the 325s for quite a bit less. However the addition of the aluminum ear cup on the 325s gets rid of the plastic resonance sound and clears up the upper range pretty well. You could probably find a RF-2 model Grado on Ebay for about the price on the HD600 too.

Actually if you are intersted in the SR325s I could probably be talked into parting with them so I could upgrade to the RF-2s. :D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have the grado SR-60's and I love them. I did have to slightly bend or stretch the headband (or what ever it is called) as it squeezed my head a bit to much. After that I found that they were very comfortable.

Also they sound fantastic!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I sometimes watch 2 or 3 movies at a time and have no discomfort at the end.The sound is great also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm thrilled with my new Grado 125's but keep in mind that they are open and it is very easy for someone in the room to hear what the headphones.

I was thinking about buying an alternative set for when I'm in bed and watching a DVD and don't wish to keep the wife awake.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
AKG...Possibly the best closed phones available.

If you are looking for even better isolation then try the Etymologic (sp?).

You can read about both at headphone.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.