AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to find a wireless over ear headphone equivalent to the Sennheiser HD598 CS (current set) or the HD 280 Pro (previous set). My day alternates between listening to music and being in conference calls, for ~10hrs daily with my headphones on. I'd like to not fight a cord all day long like I'm doing now. Having an integrated mic that isn't nested in the cord would also be a bonus for the people that have to listen to me.

Requirements:
- APTx Bluetooth
- Built in microphone
- Large ear cups so they're truly over ear not on ear
- Closed back
- Great sound stage and respectable bass

Absolutely NOT required:
- Noise cancellation
- Voice assistant integration

So far we've tried the below, all of them have incredibly small ear cups which lead to a claustrophobic essence in a short term.

So far we've tried:
- Sennheiser PCX 550-II - sound clarity quality lacking compared to the HD598 CS, they also present some odd inner ear pressure after a little bit of wearing too that we can't figure out
- Sennheiser HD450BT - sat ON ear, uncomfortable
- Sony WH1000x M3 - nowhere near the sound clarity of the HD598 CS

I just ordered the Sennheiser Momentum 3 and really hope those finally deliver the comfort and sound quality we're looking for, but would love some additional recommendations.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick follow up in case anybody cares.

The Sennheiser Momentum 3 are some glorious sounding earphones, they without a doubt offer the sound I was looking for. A bit flat out of the box with the EQ, well, flat - but they wake up real well with a tiny bit of fussing with the EQ in the Sennheiser connect app.

They aren't as outright loud as the PCX55-II or the WH1000x M3 - but offer considerably more depth and presence, so I'm finding I'm enjoying them at lower volumes then other cans I've owned.

Weight may prove to be an issue in the long run as they aren't all that light. Also they still don't offer the same physical space inside the cans as the HD598 so after ~4hrs of listening now they're starting to get a bit claustrophobic, but not as bad as the previous sets I tried.

I'll do a few test calls with noise in the background to see how well they keep the focus on my voice, if they do well in that aspect I'll call them keepers.

Cheers.

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could get whatever headphone you like and then add the wireless modmic to it :)

https://antlionaudio.com/collections/microphones/products/modmic-wireless

Thanks for the pointer, I may ultimately have to go that route as the more I use the Momemtun the more I'm expecting they'll get returned.

Two big issues:
- Windows isn't recognizing the built in mic
- They seem to rely on BT 5.0 and struggle with lower specs. I still get crackling and pops via phone which is BT 4.2 and my home PC with an even older BT spec is basically unusable.

I'll give them another couple weeks and see if I can sort out the bugs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the Sennheiser Momentum 3 are going back.

Finally got Windows to recognize the build in microphone after completely uninstalling and reinstalling all of the BT drivers, but the mic shows up as a different device and voice on calls sound like they're a mile away.

Add to that constant clicks and pops during playback even when within 2ft of a BT 5.0 device. BT 4.2 frequently drops, older BT specs are effectively worthless.

Not a viable solution, back to my corded cans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts