AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean who spent 2 hours reading an issue of Spiderman or the Fantastic Four? I would love it if HBO or somebody could recreate the original comic book experience, and not just try to jam twenty issues into a two hour can.

Imagine the Fantastic Four or Sub Mariner etc as a half hour long episode, shown once a month, like the way you used to experience them as a kid.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think part of the problem has to do with changes in the comic books themselves. It used to be that a person could pick up an issue and get a complete story, with only the occassional two- or multi-part storyline. For quite a number of year now, though, the comic books have gone to a serialized format wherein the stories are ongoing, without clearly demarked beginnings and endings.

The comic book industry itself has realized that it has a problem here. The hardcore fans, which form the base of sales, demand the complex interwoven stories. Unfortunately, this type of delivery makes it almost impossible to attract new fans in any great numbers as entry into the story arcc requires a large investment of time, interest, and money. Therefore, the comics keep getting more elaborate and more complex in order to continue profitting from a limited fan base.

Therefore, movies based on comic books have a tendency, and perhaps even a need, to mimic the types of story arcs found in the books themselves. That is, long and complex, which will appeal to the fans, but are less than ideal for the average consumer.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchformore /forum/post/0

I think part of the problem has to do with changes in the comic books themselves. It used to be that a person could pick up an issue and get a complete story, with only the occassional two- or multi-part storyline. For quite a number of year now, though, the comic books have gone to a serialized format wherein the stories are ongoing, without clearly demarked beginnings and endings.

Actually, Marvel has always serialed their storylines since the company started. Just when one story arc is about to end another one is introduced within the current storyline. On the other hand, DC usually had one story per issue w/ the occasional 2 or 3 parter. At least that is the way it was when I started collecting in '73. I know they reset their lines in recent years because they got so convoluted and it was hard for new reader to catch up w/o buying back issues.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby /forum/post/0

I mean who spent 2 hours reading an issue of Spiderman or the Fantastic Four? I would love it if HBO or somebody could recreate the original comic book experience, and not just try to jam twenty issues into a two hour can.

Imagine the Fantastic Four or Sub Mariner etc as a half hour long episode, shown once a month, like the way you used to experience them as a kid.

Oh, you mean like this:

or this:

or this:

·
Registered
19,283 Posts
A good movie you don't want to end, a bad movie doesn't end soon enough.

To me it matters little what genre the movie is in.

The same goes with a book. I count "comics" as a legitimate form of literature just like any other. Does it matter if I spend 2 hours or 30 mins reading? Would it make you feel better if I called it a "graphic novel"?

This whole topic smacks of the time I was listening to a talk show on the radio on 90.9 WGBH NPR here in Boston with Chris Lidon where he was interviewing two notable science fiction authors, I think one whom was Orson Scott Card, and he had the nerve to preface the interview by stating he didn't think sci-fi was a legit form of literature. What a snob.

·
Registered
29,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/0

This whole topic smacks of the time I was listening to a talk show on the radio on 90.9 WGBH NPR here in Boston with Chris Lidon where he was interviewing two notable science fiction authors, I think one whom was Orson Scott Card, and he had the nerve to preface the interview by stating he didn't think sci-fi was a legit form of literature. What a snob.

Lydon was indeed a pretentious ass, but he had his moments. That was perhaps not one of them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eweiss:

Not sure what your point is and not sure if the 60s Batman counts (not a comic book at that time).

The Superman and Batman TV shows were very popular in their heyday. Are you saying it's been tried successfully in the past and that's why it's not being done now?

I remember enjoying the Green Lantern, but I think a lot of people must have thought it unrealistic that the little dude playing Cato could handle multiple bad guys by himself, because it didn't last very long.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby /forum/post/0

I remember enjoying the Green Lantern, but I think a lot of people must have thought it unrealistic that the little dude playing Cato could handle multiple bad guys by himself, because it didn't last very long.

You mean Bruce Lee?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Green Lantern and Kato?
That would be an interesting team up.

Well, that "little dude" was considered by many martial artist of his time as one of the best. Even Kareem Abdul Jabbar admitted in his biography that Bruce scared the **** out of him and would never go up against him.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OOOPs, yes, that would be the Green Hornet and Kato.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.