AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, it's been a while.

We are final sanding and beginning primering Friday. Yayyyy

I'm reaching the limits of my abilities with regard to planning specifics like screen height and size with regard to a projector (which I've not purchased as of yet) reflection points, acoustics and panels etc...

What can I post so that everyone, god willing, can give sound advice that will result in the most proficient and capable theater?

The rooms been sound proofed(as best I could), wired for 7.1.4 atmos, has 2 risers and is 21'×15'

I'm planning a diy screen made from painted mdf which will have led color changing mood perimeter lighting in a surrounding hidden channel.

No projector, speakers or receiver purchased yet.

No windows, basement.

Budget $10k remaning.

Any guidance would be invaluable.
Thanks much

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,171 Posts
painted MDF would not be my first choice for a DIY screen, AT fabric from Falcon or Seymour would be. A two row theater deserves a center channel behind the screen. Consider building your own speakers from kits. Check out DIY sound group.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hello everyone, it's been a while.

We are final sanding and beginning primering Friday. Yayyyy

I'm reaching the limits of my abilities with regard to planning specifics like screen height and size with regard to a projector (which I've not purchased as of yet) reflection points, acoustics and panels etc...

What can I post so that everyone, god willing, can give sound advice that will result in the most proficient and capable theater?

The rooms been sound proofed(as best I could), wired for 7.1.4 atmos, has 2 risers and is 21'×15'

I'm planning a diy screen made from painted mdf which will have led color changing mood perimeter lighting in a surrounding hidden channel.

No projector, speakers or receiver purchased yet.

No windows, basement.

Budget $10k remaning.

Any guidance would be invaluable.
Thanks much
Having multiple rows and a small screen will mean the back row has a much smaller image compared to the front row. Multiple rows really demands a large screen and there are plenty of projectors these days bright enough to fill them.

I'd recommend a 160" AT screen with all three front channels behind it at ear height. That may cost you as much as 2' off the front of the room, but you have the depth for it. First row of seats would go at 12' and second at 19'. A screen that size made from white miliskin spandex over black miliskin spandex is very efficient AT and will cost about the same as painted MDF, only much easier to build. It will have only about 0.8 gain, so a bright projector will be a must.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts