AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I am climbing on a plane and travelling from my home back here in New Zealand to the USA. While I am primarily there for business reasons I hope to get some time to get out and see for myself the latest examples of where front projector technology has got to.

I currently have a CRT Dwin, which I imported from the States three years ago but am in the process of building a dedicated HT, and am installing a 3 meter wide 16:9 screen. While I love my Dwin almost as much as my wife, I suspect that it is going to be struggling to drive a screen of this size and the time has come to move on to a DLP or D-ILA projector.

Here in NZ we are starved by the inability to see anything demonstrated other than cheap LCD projectors that I struggle to get interested in.

I have spent some weeks following this forum with interest and it seems that at the speed DLP is developing it is likely that this is a technology that I could adopt and be satisfied with. However I note that there is a considerable following for D-ILA technology that I shouldn't dismiss quickly.

However it is difficult to read between the lines and judge whether what is acceptable to some would be acceptable to myself. For example, the D-ILA technology sounds great until you get to the contrast specs and then I hesitate. after enjoying a CRT configuration I cannot imagine getting film like qualities with such a low contrast ratio. I need to see for myself.

My time in the USA is very limited and I am hoping that someone out there can point me to reputable stores in the Chicago or New Orleans area that have equipment setup where I can view for myself examples of good quality projection.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

· Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
While I love my Dwin almost as much as my wife,
Well! I'm glad you put that 'almost' in there!;-)

Chris

· Registered
915 Posts
I know of dealers that have the Marantz and Sharp projectors in New Orleans. There is also a Seleco dealer but I don't know if he has the 300. The Sharp dealer setup is not ideal but both of the others are professional HT dealers. Drop me an email for more details or a contact number in New Orleans.

· Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) , Denon AVR x4800H, Panasonic DP-UB820, Zidoo Z9x,
1,652 Posts
Hi Baird,

In order to make your time productive, I'd suggest that you contact the manufactuer's directly and ask them for referals. Then call those dealers, tell them what you are interested in, and set up specific appointments. That way you won't waste your time trying to locate a dealer...then show up and find that the products you wish to see are not properly set up, etc.

Unfortunately, it appears that the new DWIN projector won't be in the stores for another week or two. Still, I'd contact DWIN directly. You never know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.