AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like your comments on my hometheater plans. I live in a small apartment and my only option is to use my livingroom as a hometheater-room. Obviously I don't want to paint the ceiling black and put dark wallpaper on the walls or rebuild the floor. I have to use it pretty much as it is. White ceiling, fairly light walls (yellow).

See attached picture. The room is about 12'x17' with a set of windows along one wall. When watching movies I plan to block the windows somehow and then also use a pull-down screen over them (red line in the picture). The projector will be on the back wall (red rectangle) and I will be sitting pretty much in the middle (red circle).

Will this work at all, or will there be too much light reflected from the ceiling and the walls? I hope to use a screen about 70"x50" and a 1200 lumen projector. I'm not too worried about the windows, I'll be watching mostly after dark.

Any comment or tips appreciated!

·
Registered
366 Posts
What projector are you using? It will need to be placed where the manufacturer states for the size screen you want. 17' back seems really far back for any projector...I would go with a wall of light blocking curtains to cover the windows. At some point you will want to watch movies in the day and be kicking yourself if you dont have a way to block light. I have seen a couple of theaters with light colored walls and it isnt that bad. I will be posting pictures of my theater this coming monday or tuesday. I have a row of 2x2 ceiling tiles attached to the ceiling to stop the white ceiling from washing the picture.. You could also put dark curtains on maybe the first 4-5 feet of walls near the screen. I would say a little putty and some touch up would hide the small holes left behind when you take them down to move...

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Most digital projectors have long throw - so 17' is not at all unreasonable. I am at 18.5' zoomed midpoint and have an 8'x6' screen.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. If the reviews are good, I hope to get the new Hitachi sx5500w. Zooming out max will give that screen size from that distance. I like being able to put it on a shelf rather than bolting it to the ceiling.

Curtains along the walls is a good idea. I may have to live with the white ceiling, but I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures, Ross.

What screen gain would you use in this case? I don't think there are any retractable Greyhawks?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.