AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using PowerDVD 7.3 on XP to play standard def DVDs. They look fantastic but the problem I'm having is with the Lord of the Rings DVDs specifically. When I play them I see the commentary names and titles at the top of the screen. For example, if while listening to the commentary track you are hearing a comment by the Special Effects Supervisor then you see

Joe Schmo

Special Effects Supervisor

at the top of the screen - only I see them all the time. The only DVDs I know of with this feature are the Lord of the Rings DVDs and the Star Wars DVDs. The Star wars DVDs play properly with these titles only showing up when actually listening to the commentary track. This really takes you out of the flick while viewing. My research has turned up nothing. Any advice?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you tried watching the DVD using any other software? Does the title show up when watching an actual movie and not just the commentary?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hmm my sister took her LOTR DVDs home it looks like so I can't try this on PDVD...

However try right clicking on your video screen/window and make sure primary and secondary (if present) subtitles are set to off, see if that fixes the problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ES_Revenge - I've checked the subtitle settings during the playback more than once. I'm convinced that this feature is not technically a subtitle.

I should point out to anyone who is able to try this that I have the Special Extended Edition DVDs. I'm not sure how the commentaries are done on the first release DVDs, if at all.

jfireluv - I'm acquiring WinDVD to try it out and see. And yeah, what you're saying is exaclty my problem, I see these "name tags" when I'm not watching with commentary, but rather watching with the DD5.1 audio.

Thanks for weighing in guys. I plan to try watching the flick with the DTS track instead of DD to see if it reads it properly. I don't have 6.1 hardware, though so this will likely not be handled properly. Perhaps I can isolate the problem to the DD5.1 track. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts