AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm, I guess everybody has different opinions. I have been trying to go with what others have been saying on this forum. The thread LT150 and Tensioned Screen...which one? seemed to say that the LT150 works well the High Power, and the thread LT150 Rainbows After Going to Hi-Gain...raise hands... seemed to say that the rainbow effect was not dependent on screen gain. However, I'm trying to make these decisions sight unseen so it's quite difficult. A matte white pull-down screen would be quite a bit cheaper but would require some construction work that I'm not too comfortable with. Are there perhaps other options for screens that pull up?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think the idea here is that you could get the less expensive screen, give it a shot, and if it doesn't work you're only out a few hundred dollars, or a quick sale on ebay.

I would trust the forum concensus on this projector specifically with respect to screens.

Kelly

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually thinking that at the very least, it would be easier to try out the Insta-theater and return or exchange it if I didn't like it. If I start off with the ceiling mount, I'm going to have to put holes in my ceiling and there is a lot more time and effort involved. Besides, the Insta-theater is not THAT expensive ($400) relative to the price of the projector. High power screens are all over $200 so the price difference is about double. I was also thinking I could get a tripod screen (which has more screen material options) but I don't think that would fit well in my setup.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I was one of the people asking about this screen in the screen forum. I gave up wanting it when I finally got to see one - it had waves in it, same as many pull-down screens. I don't know how long it had been erected, but it was long enough to be dusty. The screen surface appeared to me to be a plastic material of some sort. I had specific questions about color shift which went unanswered, ast this screen was being used exclusively with MS Powerpoint and an LCD projector, there was no way to display video.

If you buy it and use it for a while, please post your opinion to the screen forum.

Gary

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary, I think I will give it a try and will post my experiences. I was hoping that somebody else had already tried this combination. Unfortunately, I won't have anything to compare my results to but hopefully, the screens merits/faults will stand on their own.

Also, for anyone who is interested in these type of floor screens, Draper seems to make an almost identical model called the Road Warrior . It is available in either a matte white or a high gain glass bead. This at least gives me some more options if I decide to exchange the Insta-theater.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the pricing on the LT150 and all the great reviews is too good to resist. I currently have a 50" Sony KLW-9000, which I still plan to use for casusal watching, but would like a projector for a bigger image. This is what my setup looks like:

http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~pham/ht_small.jpg

I originally was going to get a Dalite B-snap and mount it to my ceiling but then I found the Dalite Deluxe Insta-Theater .

http://www.dalite.com/products/pics/...ta_theater.jpg

The Insta-theater would save me the trouble of mounting the screen to a my drywall ceiling and seems to be offered in the size I'm looking for (80"). So my plan would be to place the screen in between my component shelf and display, so I could pull it UP whenever I needed. The LT150 could be placed on a coffee table (about 8' back according to the throw specifications?).

I am a complete newbie to front projection so I would appreciate any comments on how well this setup would work. The Insta-Theater uses a Dalite's Wide Power material which has a lower gain (2.2) than the High Power but supposedly a wider viewing angle. Does anybody have one? I have seen some questions about the screen on the forum but never any answers. I have good control of ambient light in this room. TIA.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
I do not recommend any hi power screen with any dlp as it brings out the rainbow effect. Get nothing but a matt white.

I have one of the dalite instant theater screens and the contrast is not very good. I do not recommend it. It is really for a portable solution as in a conference room. You can get a matt white manual pull down for a couple of hundred dollars. You are better off with that.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had some requests to follow up on my experiences with this combination so here are my comments. Please note that this is my first experience with front projection. Here is a picture of the screen within my HT:

http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~pham/screen.jpg

The screen fits nicely between my component rack and RP display and it is fairly convenient to switch between the two. The screen is fairly easy to pull up, but care must be taken when pushing it down, as the mechanism usually needs some manual help to roll down the screen properly. When upright the main problem is that the "tensionining" provided by the hydraulic scissors in the back is fairly low and concentrated in the center, resulting in some sagging on the sides. Away from the sides, it stays reasonably flat and I've had no problems with wrinkles so far. Here's a screenshot of the 3-D fish screensaver:

http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~pham/fish_small.jpg

I've found the image produced to already be quite good although I haven't calibrated with Avia yet. Contrast is much better than my LCD RP display. Brightness is very good with low levels of ambient light. The "wide power" material boasts a wide viewing angle and I've found this to be true- minimal variation in brightness and contrast when you move to the sides. I do see rainbows once in awhile using HDTV, HTPC, or progressive dvd, mostly in bright scenes or bright parts of the picture. I also see more rainbows when not sitting directly in front of the screen.

Overall, it doesn't bother me too much and if I'm focussed on the movie, I generally don't see them at all.

I can post more pictures if people are interested.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Here's a question: High-Power vs. Wide Power???? Smaller viewing angle vs. lower gain. The added viewing angle seems more important than the small increas in gain (2.8 vs. 2.5 or about 12% brighter). More people seem to be using the High-Power though. Anybody actually seen both?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice setup.

If you ever decide to go with the pull-down screen, I can tell you that installation is a snap.

I'm not the least bit handy. At all. I own very few tools - screwdrivers and hammers - that's about it.

I went to Home Depot and bought:

1. A stud finder. Battery operated. Finds studs. $12 I think.

2. A package of 2 white hooks, that come with toggle or molly bolts (in case you can't find a stud). About $4.

These hooks look like your crooked finger or maybe a question mark, and would be used to hang a plant or something.

Went home, got lucky and found a stud (joist? anyway, a board) running exactly where I wanted the hooks to go (after measuring the width between the eyelets on the pulldown screen). Put the hooks in the ceiling, hung the screen. Took about 15 minutes. The screen case and hooks are white and they blend in ok with my ceiling.

Edited to add that my screen (80x60 DaLite model B) cost about $170 from Cousinsvideo.com.

[This message has been edited by rickforrest (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jonmx, the problem with that question is that the wide power material is only available on Dalite's portable screens (the Insta-theater, and the presenter). I haven't seen the high-power myself though.

Rick, thanks for your comments. I used a manual stud finder (pounding my hand against the ceiling) and it sounded pretty hollow where I wanted to mount the screen. However, I later found out that you can buy brackets that can be used when the screen is mounted close to a wall. That probably would have worked but I'm pretty satisfied with this solution. Having a portable screen (along with a portable projector) does have some advantages.

Nataraj, what screen material are you using with your tripod screen? I considered one but I wouldn't have fit well in the space I had available.

[This message has been edited by pham (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Pham - wow that is a beautiful picture!!

Have any others from a DVD or two perhaps?

I have a 60 x 80 Dalite Hi-Power on it's way. Seeing your picture I would feel extremely fortunate if the final results for me look as good.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

[This message has been edited by Lou Sytsma (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
not a fan of the material..it is fine for business presentations but it does not do video justice...I have one here...

Regards,

JOhn

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I've been using my projectors with a 80"x60" DaLite on tripod (Picture King ?). Its much cheaper than insta theatre and serves the purpose. But it takes up a little more space.

------------------
www.musicalnirvana.com

Presenting the genius of Indian Classical Music

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.