AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting together an equipment list for use in a dedicated 7.1 HT room where two-channel music will not be a consideration. FWIW, room will be approximately 17'W x 25'L x 9'H and will be designed by Dennis Erskine, so acoustically the room itself should be excellent.

As this is my first foray into a dedicated room (and seperates as opposed to an A/V receiver) I'm looking for comments and suggestions regarding my equipment selection. With regard to budget, the components listed represent the upper end of what I am able to spend initially.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Equipment List

Audio

B&K Reference 30

B&K 7260THX

Atlantic Technology System 370THX (less sub...suggestions?)

Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner

Video

Sony PLV-60HT Projector

Stewart 135" 16:9 GrayHawk Screen

Pioneer Elite DV-05 DVD Player

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
chs4-

I'm sure Dennis E. will have some useful input on the speakers and subwoofer. If I were doing a full system like this I would at least make a consideration into Triad's speaker lineup to compare to the Atlantic Technology system as I know Dennis E. is very familiar with their products as well. I would look for a more robust subwoofer with lower frequency extension than the Atlantic Technology offerings I've seen. Triad makes some great subs, as do a handful of other manufacturers. I would shy away from using a single Velodyne HGS series subwofoer as it will be overdriven in a room of your size, a pair would be needed (and sound great) yet I believe you will find more cost effective options from other manufacturers for your room.

If you are looking to control costs with the speaker system, the one place to not skimp will be in the subwoofer. A solid and strong subwoofer will allow you to use less amplification and somewhat less robust speakers without "running out of gas." Otherwise, the list looks to have ample potential in a well designed room and well thought out system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.