Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I saw the Sony 40" 4:3 XBR at a local GoodGuys here in San Jose. My impressions in order were: $3500, 290 lbs, $3500.

After my initial impressions sunk in, I realized that this might be the set for my (very) small space in a (very) small living room (10 x 14). I'm not sure what (if any) updated circuitry in here over the 36XBR400.

The local Goodguys said they start getting them first of September and were allocated only 50 for the first quarter.

Has anyone else seen and/or seriously considered this set? Any input on what enhancements have been made?

Thanks,

Keith

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
I saw it and was not impressed. I thought the PQ was not as good as some of their other XBR series. I also can't believe they'll sell many of these when the 34HD2 for about the same price is sitting right next to it. I saw the 40 hooked up to cable and it looked miserable. I know the DRC that Sony uses has been notorious for doing poorly with less than ideal signals. I'm not sure if this was simply another one of their sets behaving like this.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My whelm was also very low on this set. It is a behemoth and it is expensive and it has an OK picture, but... not a great picture.

I can't see this selling in big numbers and by late 2002, I see $3500 plasmas rendering the big tubes obsolete once and for all.

Mark

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>>Anyone know if this has the firewire ports like the smaller XBR set? <<

Is the " Extended Data Service (XDS)" interface the i1394 one you mention on the 36HS-20? Anybody have any experiences it?

Thanks,

Keith

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Is the " Extended Data Service (XDS)" interface the i1394 one you mention on the 36HS-20? Anybody have any experiences it?
XDS is not an input to the TV. It's a data stream embedded inside the NTSC signal sent from the broadcaster, similar to closed captioning, that the TV can render into text visible on the display. For example, a common use of XDS is to carry the name of the channel that you're tuned to so it can be displayed. No relationship to IEEE1394 at all.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Major Astro:
Anyone know if this has the firewire ports like the smaller XBR set? --ma
Which XBR set has Fireware ports?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I had a chance to view the XBR 700 and the XBR 2 side by side. The XBR 700 had no firewire connection while the XBR 2 does. To be honest the HD picture on the 700 was good but not in the same league with the 2. There was a slight loss of detail with the 700. All this took place at a showing put on by Sony at our best local store, Bjorn's. Both sets were tweeked but no ISF of course.

The Sony rep had no answer as to why the 700 had no firewire. I also asked if a larger version of the XBR 2 was in the works, like say a 38" model. "Not at this time". He wouldn't rule it out in the future however.

I was all ready to go with the XBR 700 but no more. It really doesn't make sense to buy an expensive 4x3 that doesn't come close to full hd resolution. And with no firewire.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't know if you have a preference for a direct-view set, but personally, I find myself looking more closely at the Panasonic PT-47WX51. It is definitely cheaper than the 40" WEGA (not to mention the fact that it is a 16:9 set) and the initial reports I am seeing are mostly positive. While I do not have any figures, I suspect the resolution of the Panasonic is higher than the 40" WEGA as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I spent some good demo time with one today and I was VERY impressed with how good plain old over-the-air broadcast looked. DVD looked great too. Unbelievably the store was unable to demo HDTV even though it's broadcast in Phoenix. Sales dude said they didn't have enough tuners.

With respect to Plasma replacing direct view, the blacks on the plasma will have to get A LOT better before I'd pick one. In addition, plasma has the same screen burn problems as RPTVs.

My biggest concern is dropping $3500 on a TV that will definitely be obsolete within 5 years. By then, (I hope) we will finally have widespread network broadcasts of 16*9 content. For those of us that watch a lot of broadcast TV the XBR700 may make sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.