AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT is just about to be moved to the basement. The room in the basement is "L" shaped. The HT will be in an area where the front wall is 12' wide, the right wall is 12' long and the left wall is 29' long. As such, there is no back wall and the HT will be in, essentially, a 12' x 12' area. The ceiling height on the left side will be 7'-4" and on the right side, due to an HVAC soffit, 6'-9". The HVAC soffit is sheetrock and the rest is a drop ceiling. I have no problems going with some bookshelves and a good-sized center channel, but my problem really lies with the surround speakers - I'd like to keep them no more than 6" in depth. The L/R surrounds will be mounted on the wall to the sides of the couch. I would also like to add 1 or 2 speakers in the back for rear center channel(s). This setup will be 99% HT and music, if any, will be non-critical listening - and there are no plans for DVD-A or SACD. Budget is no more than $1000 for the speakers and $450 for the sub. I am using a Denon AVR-3802, and was considering the following options:

1. Axiom M2i for front L/R, VP100 for the center and QS4s for L/R surround. This system was recommended to me by Axiom. While they say the varying ceiling height and materials won't be an issue, I am still concerned about it. I also don't know what, if any, Axiom speakers I could use for rear center(s) since they really don't make anything too small.

2. Def Tech ProMonitor 100s for L/R, ProCenter C2 for center channel and ProMonitor 80s for L/R surround. I would then add either a single ProCenter 100 or another pair of ProMonitor 80s for rear center(s) - mounting it (or them) from the ceiling.

In either scenario I was considering an HSU STF-2 or VTF-2 for a sub, although if I go with the Def Techs, their ProSub 80 or ProSub 100 may be an option.

I'd appreciate any comments on the above or any thoughts on other setups - remember the L/R and rear surrounds are my key issues here. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
sell the 3802 and get a receiver with auto cal like pio elite mcacc or a yammy with ypao

keep the existing speakers and see what happens

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.