AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or know about the external Sony DRX-500ULX that could comment on it's use as a HTPC dvd drive?

I would like to know if the Sony or any other brand of external writable DVD Recorder is quiet and reliable enough for HTPC use.

I like the Sony external because it is both standards and has both USB 2.0 and Firewire support. But would consider any other single format external DVD recorder.

Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Sterling-

I have been using an external DVD-ROM drive for DVD movies (first an IEEE1394, now a USB 2.0), and I had good results. My DVD+RW drive (HP 200i) is an internal one, though. I figured that an internal drive for recording is just less likely to have problems. This is only my opinion; I have not actually read anything that says external recorders are less reliable or harder to 'make work right'.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is your internal DVD writer on noise?

Have you tried DVD playback through that drive to see if it has any problems?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The internal HP drive does not seem unusually noisy for local use, but I keep the computer in a separate room from the big screen. (That is why I use the USB drive.) DVDs seem to play just fine in the HP, but I have not watched a whole movie on it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That Sony drive is pretty quiet with discs in there. I was concerned about how DVD's would play back through USB 2.0 as well. I just got the beginnings of my HTPC last night (MB & Case) and I plan to bring my department's Sony External drive home this weekend to try it out (albiet only over Svideo for now until I get a transcoder) and see how it performs just as an experiment more than anything, I intend to get a regular black DVD drive down the road.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cowtown, I'm definately interested to hear how it goes with the sony drive.

I am hoping it is very quiet and plays DVD movies well!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You could also just get one of them Pioneer slot loader DVD drives and put it in a seperately bought housing and use their slow down utility to make it extremly quiet. You can find housings at Newegg.

External Enclosures

peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.