AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Bit of a strange first post because I'm not really sure what I am looking for here, but I'd love to hear some expert comments/opinions other than my own ramblings.

I have JBL S312's that I have had for 2ch stereo for a while (partnered with a NAD 218THX) . I have wanted to upgrade to HT for a while but never did for one reason or another. That changed when recently I scored a great deal on floor stock JBL Studio L series that I believed would be a reasonable timbre match for 312's and would allow me to expand this to a 7.1 setup. The L820's I was going to use for surround rears, L810's for side surrounds, LC2 centre & an L8400 sub to make a 7.1 setup with the 312 fronts.

I have a fairly large room, its about 12x6m (about 36x18ft) The "front" of the room is on the long side and seating is located about 2/3rds back. The side speakers are to be located center left and right which is in front of the main seating postion and the rears are located at 45 degrees in the corners behind.

Historically I have always used NAD stuff and have enjoyed the sound so I am thinking to purchase the M25 and then M15HD when it becomes available, and maybe selling the NAD 2ch stuff.

Random question/thought part,

what do you think, is this going to play nicely?

Are the 4 way L820's better to be sides instead of rears?

Do you think a simpler, Onkyo or Marantz, AV on its own would yeild comparable results?

What about the M25 with a cheaper (eBay) AV?

Would a second L8400 be of great benefit?

Further options/choices.

Its all starting to do my head. I'm in trying to get the best cost benefit setup.

Cheers & Thanks

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1LL3M
Are the 4 way L820's better to be sides instead of rears?
Probably so, mainly because the rear surrounds do so little.

Quote:
Do you think a simpler, Onkyo or Marantz, AV on its own would yeild comparable results?
Absolutely. However, other reasons, such as your own positive history with NAD, which increases your pride in ownership, may weigh in favor of spending more.

Quote:
Would a second L8400 be of great benefit?
I bet it would. Your room is large, and two subs are often better anyway. When placed properly, you'll have a smoother low frequency response throughout.

Since you're going with a JBL system, you may be interested in Harman's speaker placement guidelines (parent compnay of JBL). It's attached.

7.1 Setup.pdf 41.4169921875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Two subs, most certainly. And the L820s are better for the side surrounds with the L810s on the rear.

The side surrounds should be anywhere from in line with the seating (90*) to about 110*

And if you do have to have the rears in the corners, most certainly place them @ 45*.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I cant get the sides behind the seating position and still maintain seperation from the rears. Would angling the sides towards the central postion improve this.

In terms of 5.1/7.1 what actually do the sides reproduce? Are these what would typically be the "rears" in a 5.1

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
The side surrounds are more important than the rear, as the sides have more info. You could just go with 5.1 and have the side surrounds in the back corners setup on 45* angles.

Plus, if possible, you could go 6.1, adding just one back speaker placed at the center of the rear wall so you'd have three speakers along the back, two sides and one rear. I don't know how much of an improvement, if any, it would be to just having the one pair in the corners.

People sometimes do have side speakers forward of seating, usually when there is a long room with two or more side surround speakers per wall. As in having the first pair lined up with the front seats and the second set lined up with the second or third row of seats. But that's quite a different thing to your situation.

Just try a few locations and go with what seems to be best. Forward of the seating isn't right, but maybe you can live with it, if you really want 7.1

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys,

I have decided I just cant give up my nads
and so will go with the NAD M25 Amp; BUT, the M15HD is not yet available and the ~8.5k rrp here raises some Q's on its own (price gouging by our local importer).

Therefore, can you recommend a good pre amp to go with this (maybe this should be reposted in the amps section). I want to get the latest audissey settings and all the other new processing stuff, but obviously as I will be using the M25 the power rating of the pre doesnt matter.

I have been thinking the Onkyo 807 may be suitable, does the THX Select v Ultra rating on refer to current output or is there more in this that would be going higher.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
As you will be using an external power amp the THX select will have nothing to do with your setup. The difference between THX Select and Ultra is the size of the room they are designed for.

Select 2000 cuft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.