AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing an NEC VT540, to be ceiling mounted. I have to have a pulldown screen (significant other won't allow permanent screen where we are placing it). This limits the materials available. I was considering a dalite brand screen. Anyone with experience with this combination projector and screen? Is the matte white going to be my best option? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a vt540 (coffee table mount) and I still have the Dalite Model B pulldown matte white. I found the combination pleasing, especially for the money. I still use the screen with my lt150.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For high lumen LCD projector, consider high contrast or gray screen. Dalite has it and I'm sure you've heard of the Grayhawk. This will enhance blacks, contrast, and deepen colors.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
464 Posts
But a gray screen will cost you $1,000+. A matte white Da-Lite or Draper will cost $200-400.

XrayEyes, I'm faced with the same decision. I too need a manual pulldown (probably for a Sharp 9000 DLP). I'm sure a gray screen would improve contrast at a gain of 0.95 or below, but it will sacrifice brightness and is expensive. I'm going with the matte white.

[This message has been edited by Augie (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hey guys. I have tested a number of screen fabrics with my nec vt540 and one thing is pretty much clear. The less gain the better (to a certain degree of course). I have a motorized Stewart screen with a gain of 1.7, a video spectra screen with a gain of 1.5, a perfectly white wall which I imagine is close to matte white, a diy grey screen, and another diy screen with multiple different shades of grey on it. With each drop in gain the picture improved. The colors were richer and the blacks deeper. After much testing with different greys I finally ended up with something that was sort of between Glidden Veil and Universal Grey. I was very surprised to see that Da-lite's grey screen was identical to the grey I ended up with. Stewart's grey screen I am sure is even more impressive.

So again, less gain the better. The matte white will look very good but grey will look better http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know, the Dalite grey screen, Da-mat hi contrast, only comes in an unsupported material and is not manufactured in a pull-down screen. The choices for a manual (or electric) screen are limited to the supported materials, the lowest gain being the matte white.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the Stewart site and the manual pull down screen, the Luxus Communicator, is available as GrayHawk. Probably costly though, at least compared to the Da-lite matte white.

Where can you purchase a Stewart screen?

[This message has been edited by XrayEyes (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
AVS can get you a good price.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.