AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife & I are building a new house, walkout basement. Have a large family room which I have been told is the only option for HT setup. I would just like to know if this is a terrible setup, to have the system set up with such a large space behind seating area? Most likely, the area behind the theater will have some furniture, possibly pool table and the like. Also, I would like to hear some opinions on having the rear surrounds in-ceiling, in-wall, etc in a setup such as this? I have a 6.1 receiver currently, but will pre-wire for upgrading to 7.1.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure I could add some more seating, I was just throwing in one couch kind of as a point of refrence. Should I be putting the surrounds further back on the wall/celing? I was thinking of putting the surrounds almost like they are dividing the room where it widens out. Is that a bad idea?

I have gathered a lot of great tips from the forums here, and was just looking for a few ideas before I start construction.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maquis, what you could do is build a wall that would extend your right wall (where it currently returns by your right rear speaker is) so that you have a rectangular room. Then you can turn that space into an equipment room or storage facility/room. That is unless you want that open space for your pool table, etc. Make sense?

But unless you don't want to play with new construction, it looks like your setup would work! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
It would work if you want an entertainment room. Used to entertain on other levels besides Movies only. But if you want a Dedicated Home Theater, it will be tougher. Window and Patio door pose minor problems.

What kind of Visual Medium are you using? RPT?

Ron

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquis
Wife & I are building a new house, walkout basement. Have a large family room which I have been told is the only option for HT setup. I would just like to know if this is a terrible setup, to have the system set up with such a large space behind seating area?
It's bad to sit up against a wall because the reflections reach your ears soon enough after the direct sound to be confused with it thereby reducing clarity. An extra 10 feet might not help noticeably, although it shouldn't hurt anything (I sit 8' from my speakers and 9' from the back wall).

I'd be more worried about how close the speakers are to the front and side walls (2-3' of separation would be good). and how far you are from the TV (at that distance, anything less than 7' wide/94" diagonal isn't going to have cinematic impact)

For the surrounds, you might move them forwards to be even with your ears and then install a second set on the back-wall as surround-backs.

As far as the windows, I used Hunter Douglas opaque blinds on the sliding door and window in my theater/listening room. While opaque, they come in a variety of decorator friendly colors...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using a RPTV. It is a 55" widescreen HDTV. My wife is adamant keeping this room as open as possible. We would most likely be using this for general entertainment as well as movies, although I of course would like to get the best theater experience possible (who doesn't!)

I guess the only other reassurance I would need is on my rear speaker placement... do I go with all my surrounds in-ceiling? (This has the highest WAF!)

Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.