AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

This is a repost of a hastily and poorly written post late last night.

We are in the final stages of house plans and I wanted to query the expertise here for their thoughts on the current layout. (I'll include a pic below). The room will be a dedicated theater room, ground floor, concrete slab, three walls are exterior, and the fourth is shared with a bathroom and bedroom closet. The interior dimensions are roughly 15' x 18'.

My concern is being able to put in two rows of seating and an acoustically transparent screen. I don't know how much floor space I'll lose with a false wall construction; I'm assuming at least a foot.

I would like to have a riser across the back wall. This would be accomplished by pouring the slab in such a way as to have a step down about 4-6 feet into the room from the rear. I will be projecting on the wall opposite the entry with an HC4000. My goal is a diagonal screen of ~110"-125".

My questions are:

1) is the room too short?

2) how much room will I lose if I build a false wall for speaker concealment?

3) what's the usual riser height? We're using the slab to implement, so don't want to go too extreme... probably 6"-7".

4) what's the minimum recommended depth of a riser?

5) is it really bad to have the back viewing row against the back wall (for acoustics), if so, how far off the wall should it be?

Any and all thoughts are certainly welcome. This project has been stretching much too long and our builder (and finance people) are getting antsy to start.

Thankfully,

Russ

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
First of all, welcome to the madness. I'm in a similar situation as you as we are working on building our home and we're including a dedicated HT space. Also, I would suggest using photo bucket or some other photo sharing site to host your images and imbed them rather than attaching them as you've done. While this is a hugely helpful group, we're a bit lazy when it comes to clicking on pictures.

Next, you are probably going to need to provide a little more information to get many responses. The depth of your false wall will depend greatly on the type of speakers you intend to use. For example, if they have a rear facing port, then you need more space to get them away from the wall. If you plan to put a sub back there, then those will typically take up a lot of space as well. Any acoustic treatments planned for that wall?

I'm not sure about the recommended riser height, but I would suggest making sure your builder has a good waterproofing plan for the recessed area. I mentioned this option to my builder and he immediately started discussing the impacts to his waterproofing and drainage strategy. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying make sure it's treated properly. Also, I would be inclined to think too deep is better than not deep enough. You can always add a false floor to raise the height and use it to run cabling, etc. Of course, you can do that with the top of the riser as well if the recessed area is not deep enough.

Riser depth will depend on whether or not you intend to put recliners on the second row. If so, I believe 7' is typically recommended to allow for peoples feet to hang off the end.

It's also best to have the rear row off of the wall as far as possible for improved acoustics. However, you have to balance that with the amount of space you have in the room.

With all of that said, I would highly recommend using the Pro Layout service in the stickies. This will answer all of your questions, and make sure you don't mess up anything permanent (like the poured riser).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably no sub in the front wall, and no rear facing ports. Subs will probably be in the back of the room in a corner or two.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice try! I considered something similar except in the bedroom closet on the backside of the equipment room. That idea scored very low on the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) scale.

However, I have decided to swap the door and equipment opening with each other and hinge the door in the corner. I'm getting nervous that the equipment closet is too small now.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/20837412

With all of that said, I would highly recommend using the Pro Layout service in the stickies. This will answer all of your questions, and make sure you don't mess up anything permanent (like the poured riser).

I'll second the recommendation on the pro layout service (more info can be found on the AV Science link ). They claim to be able to turn around the info you need in 7 days, which will be much faster than using the forums. Starting from scratch, if you had three months to work on the design you could probably get about half of what you needed to get something as good as the pro service (just my opinion, mind you).

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver /forum/post/20837087

The interior dimensions are roughly 15' x 18'.

BTW - if you made the room 20' long (interior), your room would be almost exactly the same size as one of the sample plans posted in the link I provided. Just so you know...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those dimensions only give me 'space' envy. I'm already pushing size a little to get the option of another row of seating. It just seemed to be alot of space for only 2-3 people without the second row.

My latest edits to the builder are to modify the equipment closet slightly to get another 6 inches of depth, plus a dog-leg. The media room stretches another foot in length, and we're putting in the drop I mentioned. The back level will be 5' deep... still nervous about that much and might drop to 4.5 feet. 5' deep puts front row viewing at about 11.7 feet from screen with no false wall.

I may have to work out some columns on the front wall to hide some speakers in.

THX calculator says for 11.7 feet, a recommended screen size is 105" diagonal for 16x9, and maximum distance of 16.5. this fits almost perfectly with where the two separate rows would be. My goal was 110"-125", so I could probably run 110"-115" and have the front row a little close, and the back row between recommended and minimum.

Thanks again for input. Haven't pulled the trigger yet so there's still time for mods.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver /forum/post/20839437

Those dimensions only give me 'space' envy. I'm already pushing size a little to get the option of another row of seating. It just seemed to be alot of space for only 2-3 people without the second row.

Which dimensions?

The dimensions you listed should be fine for 2 rows of 3 seats - the second row will be a little close to the back wall but that is not the end of the world. The viewing distances you listed look good, I don't think I have seen anyone mention any concerns until front row eyes are less than 10 feet from the screen. So as long as your front AT screen isn't more than '1.7 feet' from the wall you should be OK.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My envy came from the reference to adding 20' of length will put me equivalent to those posted by the professional design service.

The media room is now as large as our master bedroom, which is, in fairness to my wife, 'big enough'.

Please see the new attachment, it's the marked-up final version. About 19' x 15' with a 5' riser at the back (or 14' drop at the front).

I think I now have sufficient room for several options.

a) two rows, with or without a false wall at front

b) one row, and a small bar with stools behind

c) one row, with a wetbar against the back wall

Since we're still at the final contracts and permit stage of things, I have opportunities to do final design. I'll continue doing my research, and depending on reccomendations here, will either go with what I've learned or spend the money for the professional design with the given dimensions.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver /forum/post/20847923

My envy came from the reference to adding 20' of length will put me equivalent to those posted by the professional design service.
Adding 20'?
That isn't what I meant (sorry to confuse you, I said 'long' not 'longer'). One of the reference rooms on the professional design service web site is a room that is 20'x15', So you would only have had to add 1' to get the same layout (based on your original drawing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver /forum/post/20847923

I think I now have sufficient room for several options.

a) two rows, with or without a false wall at front

b) one row, and a small bar with stools behind

c) one row, with a wetbar against the back wall

If you decide to go with option 'b' or 'c', you don't have to put in the drop/riser (though it would still be cool to have it). I don't know how much that modification is costing, but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
1) Is this equipment closet just to house gear for the theater (rack), or is it also the home-run location for the whole house? If not, think about reducing it to just a pull-out rack (Middle Atlantic AXS) and making your master closet larger. I'm very happy with my AX-S setup... But ignore that if there needs to be room for a patch panel, etc.

2) Can you find another location for the A/C units? Being right outside the wall of the theater, you will likely hear them. Best to put them next to a closet or bathroom, not a bedroom or theater. (although in NH, do they even come on????
)

3) Don't worry about actual screen size (be it 100" or 120" or whatever) - fit it to the room dimensions and the seating locations.

Your dimensions aren't that far from my room (mine is 16x22') with 2 rows of recliners and a bar table in the back. The front row is at 10' from the screen, which was a concern (too close?), but worked out fine with a 108" (16:9 size) screen. Second row at 15' is great.

Jeff

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the closet will also serve duty for all the other wiring terminals... excluding power of course. The closet I'm stealing from is bedroom 4 so I'm not too worried about that. I tried to put a rear down on the equipment room entering from the bedroom 4 closet, but my wife nixed that idea. As for AC, I suppose I could move them more forward (with respect to the house front) and settle them next to bedroom 4. However, that recess makes a perfect spot for the pool equipment that will also be going in. Maybe a little extra soundproofing on that wall would be warranted. The other side of the house is the master bedroom so I'd rather avoid that side.

I looked at the pullout systems, and hadn't made a decision there yet. When using that system, you're forced to take your equipment rack all the way to the floor. I had intended either elevating a short rack, or just closing in the lower 2 feet of a taller rack. But, I'm still open to suggestions.

Russ

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver
I looked at the pullout systems, and hadn't made a decision there yet. When using that system, you're forced to take your equipment rack all the way to the floor.
Incorrect. I have mine ~18" off the floor. The service stands have options allowing up to 40" off the floor...

But if you're going to have access to the closet anyway, a fixed rack is probably the better solution.

Jeff

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jeff,

I'll take a look again at that system. A pullout style would allow me to decrease the depth of the equipment closet.

Russ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts