AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else notice in the last week or two that the automatic commercial advance has been less than effective at identifying the commercials?

For example, I watched ER last night and I don't recall one commercial skip.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I watched ER live (gasp!), so I dunno about that. I'll replay it tonight and see.

But I tape two ER reruns every day and those skip with near 95% effectiveness.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
it's been mentioned several times recently that the CA in the 5040's seems to have become buggier lately...i've been seeing a lot more false positives and a lot less perfect commercial skips

but keep in mind this info comes from me & a very few other people who have mentioned this...i don't have a 4xxx anymore to compare to but when i had both the CA on the 4xxx was much better than the CA on the 5xxx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention I am using the 5040 model. When it skips, its pretty damn good, I just notice it flat out not skipping hardly any commercials.

·
Registered
349 Posts
HI,

I have both a 4xxx and a 5xxx and I agree wholeheartedly with l_b. The 4k is much superior, both in more good skips and fewer bad ones.

I do think, though, the networks are getting smarter with the black commercial lead-in, and

minimizing it where possible to cause CA problems. Some shows eg, 24, skip perfectly. Others, like some of the L&O's won't skip a one...

Hopefully the new 5xxx software will even things out.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Having had three VCRs with Commercial Advance for many years before getting our two 5000 series boxes, I was used to the fact that some shows just don't work well with CA. And while some may wish to debate the effectiveness of CA in 5000 boxes, I think it works reasonably well considering how flaky the whole concept of how CA works anyway.

And it is possible that due to subtle changes in signal quality over time, some weeks might actually seem better than others for CA.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I actually had CA skip an entire show last week. It went from the recap on 24 right to the credits in one giant skip. I mean it wasn't the best ep of the season but I kind of wanted to watch Ensign Ro fall down the stairs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As a 4080 owner, CA seems to work as normal these past few weeks. In fact, "24" this week was better than average in terms of successful CA. Usually I turn off CA for "24", but the wife had the remote this week...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by albertso
...I do think, though, the networks are getting smarter with the black commercial lead-in, and minimizing it where possible to cause CA problems...
I think you could be on to something here. It's no secret that CA works better on the major networks than on some others. I think it's a front office decision and quality control issue that is winked at by some networks. Unless the network in question remains exacting about how commercials are inserted, I wouldn't be surprised to see a further degradation of the effectiveness of CA.

Tim

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I think we should start new threads for every problem previously discussed (I noticed the channel 6 big has a new thread today too)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I think we should start new threads for every problem previously discussed (I noticed the channel 6 big has a new thread today too)
and a request for negative padding

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Great idea!

Would the occasionally surly and sarcastic attitudes of those with 4 digit postings qualify as a previously discussed problem?

·
Registered
826 Posts
What I've noticed on both SciFi and CBS is that they're keeping their logo on into the black period. This confuses CA because it doesn't get the dead air it's looking for.

Still usually works, but there are segments that just don't get skipped, especiallyif that logo bleeds into the first commercial segment.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Would the occasionally surly and sarcastic attitudes of those with 4 digit postings qualify as a previously discussed problem?
"Occasionaly?" Where have I failed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.