AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an HD-PVR for use with MythTV. Everything is working fine, except that commercial detection processing never finds any commercials. Does mythcommflag not work on HD-PVR recordings?

I'm running .24 on ubuntu 10.04.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/19623956

Works fine for me.

Good, at least I know it is supposed to work. It works for all my other recordings with about 90% accuracy, but doesn't find any commercials on my HD-PVR recordings. Which commercial detection method do you use? do you have commflagging set to start as the recording starts, or after it is completed?

thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm using "all available methods", "strict" checked, and I've done it where it starts commflagging when the recording starts, and after it ends. Works both ways for me. This is with 0.24

You may want to ask on the mythtv-users mailing list.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/19626224

I'm using "all available methods", "strict" checked, and I've done it where it starts commflagging when the recording starts, and after it ends. Works both ways for me. This is with 0.24

You may want to ask on the mythtv-users mailing list.

I've only tried to commflag a couple of HD-PVR shows (they are shows I can't get with my QAM tuner). It could be that these shows make it harder to find commercials than the other shows I've commflagged. I think I'll try a few more shows and then also try recording a same show with the HD-PVR as I know commflag works with my QAM tuner to see if its the show that commflag is having a problem with or if its the HD-PVR recordings.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After more testing, I've found commflagging is working with the HD-PVR recordings, it's the recordings that were faulty. I was using the SPDIF in from my STB and that often produce some bad recordings for some reason (I'm using the latest firmware, I thought SPDIF was supposed to work pretty well). It worked well sometimes, often not, causing skips in the recordings and failed recordings and shortened recordings in my tests (although some worked fine, but most not). So far no problems using the RCA inputs, and the commflagging works - again, this is all only on a few shows I tested with over the last day, but the culprit seems to be SPDIF. I am using a cheap SPDIF cable, maybe try to get a better one. but for now I'll stick with RCA over the next week and see how it performs.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/19632377

On the mythtv-users mailing list, some people report similar problems with SPDIF input, while others, like myself, never had a problem with it. Glad you at least found a workaround.

It's been working solidly for a week now, so SPDIF was definitely the problem. Can I ask a couple of questions about your setup?

1. What model STB are you using?

2. Did you use the module option default_audio_input=2 to set the default input to spdif on the HD-PVR?

3. Do you have your myth recording profile set to AC3 or AAC?

I'm going to look a little more into getting spdif working over the next week or two.

Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
1. Motorola QIP-7100 on Verizon FIOS. (2 of them)

2. Nope, no module options. In mythtv-setup, under capture cards, I set them to use the SPDIF input.

3. AC3

I also updated them to the latest firmware as of a few months ago, although I had no troubles before that.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/19670062

1. Motorola QIP-7100 on Verizon FIOS. (2 of them)

2. Nope, no module options. In mythtv-setup, under capture cards, I set them to use the SPDIF input.

3. AC3

I also updated them to the latest firmware as of a few months ago, although I had no troubles before that.

Thanks. That's pretty much how I have mine setup, except I'm using a different box (H21 from directv). I didn't use the module option either. Might just be the box. I'm using the latest firmware too... Still haven't tried a different cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts