AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for buying an affordable NAS box where I can just plug into an ethernet jack and turn on... adding HDD's when I need more space (without any hassle); and, replacing disks when they go bad. Of course, doing all this without losing data.

Unraid is nice, but I'd rather just buy a physical box/chassis that just plugs in without any kind of configuration necessary; except for optional simple stuff like changing hostname, user account maintenance, and partitioning.. remotely admin'ing via a web interface.

This might be asking for too much, but a chassis that I can just slide a HHD into a slot and snap it into place without any screws would be icing on the cake. I've see that design before on an unrelated product and wondered why dont all HHD chassis make it that easy?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think Tom is working on a few new servers currently. You might want to wait to see what he churns out. He just released a new version of unRaid that includes support for the new Supermicro PCI-E x4 8-Port SATA card because his old preferred card is becoming scarce (and this one will be a bit more efficient in terms of how much it can provide). There's a new server on the horizon and a lot of people are getting excited about it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike /forum/post/18257301

Dont the Drobo boxes and the netgear readynas products offer similar features to unraid?

Sure, but they're more expensive per drive and don't have the capacity that unRAID and WHS systems are capable of. I think they also use RAID5. Dicey proposition if ever the box fails.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/18257412

I think they also use RAID5. Dicey proposition if ever the box fails.

It's even worse than that. They use some proprietary file system. If you Drobo goes down, you lose everything. At least with RAID5, there is a chance that if you replace the failed controller, it might be able to rebuild.

WHS is no more difficult to set up than any other version of Windows. If you can build a PC, you can build a WHS server. If you can't, there are lots of 4-bay, pre-built WHS systems available. Via even makes an 8-bay version , if you need more room.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
ReadyNAS's use LVM plus a proprietary parity calculator AFAIK, not RAID 5. You can mount ReadyNAS (Pro/NVX/3200) disks/volumes in linux.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts