AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to great advice from the knowledgeable folk on this forum, I've purchased a 50" Panasonic 6UY. The savings from the lack of (low quality) speakers and an NTSC tuner pretty much allowed me to afford 50" over 42".

I’m very happy with my TV. Now, the question of the moment is as follows. What low profile (i.e. "lifestyle") 5.1 speakers go best with a commercial (or any) plasma TV? I would like to combine good sound quality while still matching the low profile look of the TV.

So far, I see the contenders as:

Bose: The company has a terrible rep among those who know audio. High prices and cheap construction (read: paper). Still, the size is tremendously appealing. They would definitely look nice next to plasma. Still, I don't think I can go that low.

B&W: The VM1s look nice. Still, they are priced way below B&Ws usual stuff. I wonder if the sound and the quality is still the same?

Cambridge Soundworks: Has a better rep for quality and pricing than Bose and still makes small stuff. Still, the SQ is not known to be the best.

NHT: L5s seem like a solid choice. Downsides are the price and a rumor (nothing more than that) that they don't work well with bright components (i.e. my Denon).

Paradigm: The on-wall Monitor 5s look like another great choice. Company seems to have a great rep (although I've never heard them). Probably worth a look.

Any suggestions from the forum bros would be greatly appreciated…

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cx35: Thanks so much for the prompt response and the menu of great choices. This is definitely the type of stuff I am looking for.

I can spend more if the product is something I really like. The first three choices all look great. Any idea what the B&W FPM5s and the Pinnacles go for (roughly)?

I can do roughly $500/speaker if I have to--perhaps even slightly more. I already have a nice Velodyne sub, so that's covered. Also, I could do something voice matched but a bit less expensive for the rears if I really need to compensate.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
You might post this question in the speaker forum. 500 per speaker should open up to some really nice sound. I am wondering if they will suggest the energy c-7 system over there with a non-energy sub like Velodyne. They talk alot about ascend cb- whatevers, axiom 22 tis, and rockets, all under 500 per speaker, that give very high peforming sound for the money as well as an Energy system minus a sub.

Have fun!

·
Registered
739 Posts
sound and vision mag just did a complete report on spkrs's for plasma. its a very good review.

if i remember correctly the spkr of choice was the martin logan "frescos" for reproduction of sound quality and bass, as it has a big spkr config. and only comes out 5.7" from the wall with a great modern design.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Also read that issue, if flat aesthetics is a must, the plasma speaker section makes sense. If regular boxes are OK, then quality per dollar doesnt add up for most of the flat options versus the usual speaker forum recs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I've posted to the speaker forum before. There don't seem to be as many people knowledgeable about good sound AND plasma aesthetics there as there are here. I figured that it wouldn't be a bad idea to start this thread to get some ideas from fellow on-wall people.

Quote:
You might post this question in the speaker forum. 500 per speaker should open up to some really nice sound. I am wondering if they will suggest the energy c-7 system over there with a non-energy sub like Velodyne. They talk alot about ascend cb- whatevers, axiom 22 tis, and rockets, all under 500 per speaker, that give very high peforming sound for the money as well as an Energy system minus a sub.
My current fronts are a pair of Energy 3.1e. I want to get away from the floor standing speakers (which I believe the C-7s are) and into on-walls.

Thanks for the suggestion of that Sound and Vision article. It is available online here . I'm not too fond of the looks of the Martin Logans. The price is also a bit more than I want to spend (it appears to be almost $1,000 per speaker).

I think that I will be getting the DefTechs or B&Ws. All of the other speakers reviewed in that article are too wide-looking for my tastes. I really want to get in somewhere and have a listen to them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't write-off Bose too quickly. They are a great sounding speaker with a nice compact size. They look great mounted next to my Panny 42" plasma.

Had dinner with a guy that works for Bose. He has a Phd from MIT. Says that the company's main activity seems to be research.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I asked something similar in the speaker forum last November.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=331040

If you scroll down the thread I ended up summarizing what I had found including the recommendations from the speakeer forum members. It also includes the findings from the Sound & Vision article.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Got demo disc in hand...going to audition the NHT L5 today.

So far I've listened to Def-Tech Mythos, Vienna Acoustic Webern and

Martin Logan Fresca. Out of the 3, I like the Fresca the best for movies, but

a bit outta my range...trying to keep it under 2k for the L-C-R.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll be getting the def tech mythos 2 and 3 (center) soon. The msrp is five bennys each, but can be had for four, if not a little less. Def tech also makes nice small but deep subs. I'm getting the supercube II and it kicks some ass, and at eight bennys, not a bad price. The supercube I is about four or five more and more powerful if that's what u need.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here's some food for thought - if you are using this just for movies/TV, why spend that much for speakers? First, you should know that something like 70% of the sound in 5.1 comes from the center channel (and most of it is dialog). I've heard very good systems like the Definitive 60 that cost $600 for the whole 5.1 system (much less if you already have the subwoofer). If you are also using this system for listening to CD's, etc., then I could see spending the extra money for speakers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kweezr: I eagerly await your impressions on the L5s. I have seen many a listening note that say they smoke everything on wall, including the Def Techs and the B&W on wall series designed for plasma.

I'm also curious to hear from anyone else that has heard the L5s live. The last thing I want to do is by a speaker sight unseen. Still, I just may have to.

I think that they are the way I might be headed, as I just found them for a very reasonable price. PM if you are interested--it is a mail order shop that I have dealt with before.

I'm definitely planning to listen to music on this system as well. Thus, I want to get stuff that's somewhat decent.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I'm pretty much decided on the L5s. Now, the only question is which color--white, silver or anthracite.

The 6UY series is sort of an odd color---not quite silver but not quite black either. My walls are white, but I may paint them.

TTT for anyone experienced with on-wall setups. I've looked through the gallery, but I don't see many setups with on-walls.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like you've already made your decision but for what's it worth, here is a picture of my Pany 42 with Bose Jewel Cubes housed inside tea light candle holders (wife's idea.) Robbie

PS. I've since changed the holders for something better but it gives you an idea.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Destro
kweezr: I eagerly await your impressions on the L5s.
You'll have to wait...

Drove out to the showroom today thinking I may be order these babies.

I get there and ask where the L5's are...the salesman says " we sold the

floor model yesterday" and none it stock! I only had one word to

say "****!" I even called on the 19th to make sure they had a set to demo.

They're supposed to get more in next week. Maybe I 'll drive up to

Sacramento this weekend...calling 1st of course.

I've heard the Mythos...IMO, it won't take much to smoke these.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kweezr:

I like the look of your setup, although I am not usually a big fan of above-the-fireplace mounts.

What color are you thinking of going with? The commercial Panasonic (which I own as well) is sort of a tough color to match (with silver being all the rage these days). I am debating between the anthracite (probably the best match) and the silver. I am curious as to how you are leaning...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Destro
kweezr:

I like the look of your setup, although I am not usually a big fan of above-the-fireplace mounts.
Thanks Destro,

Maybe it's because most ATF mounts are on painted surface, usually white,

in-wall speakers and mounted higher? To me the brick gives more of a

contrast...the rustic meets the future...Who knows...

Saw a 50in ATF mount yesterday and it was definilty too high for my liking,

maybe 5ft from the bottom of the screen, tilted 15deg or more.

Quote:

What color are you thinking of going with? The commercial Panasonic (which I own as well) is sort of a tough color to match (with silver being all the rage these days). I am debating between the anthracite (probably the best match) and the silver. I am curious as to how you are leaning...
Probably the anthracite or the paintable white, depends how it color looks

in person. Did search on the anthracite and it seem to vary some.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.