AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how I'd like to see commercial skip implemented: I'd like the commercials relocated somewhere (e.g. the end of the show) so that I could browse them all (if I felt like it) in one go. This would let me enjoy the program without commercials and still allow me to see any movie trailers, upcoming-show announcements, funny commercials, or whatever at the end. It would even be cool if there was a "next commercial" button that would let you skip even the odd-sized ones.

Seems to me that such a feature would not annoy the folks that want to completely ignore the commercials, would allow people to check what got skipped (more easily than turning off commercial skipping and having to go through the whole program again), and might even help the studios to feel better about the feature being around. Comments?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Actually, this sounds like a great idea! After all, how many times do you get a DVD and end up WILLINGLY watching more trailers? I know I have on most DVDs I watch. I think a menu type system could be even better (if it was possible of course)....so then you could choose, or skip commercials at will.

Whoa.....think of the possibilities during the super bowl! Who needs to actually watch the game when you can just watch the commercials!

You could set the choice of either watching the commercials at the beginning or the end. (setting at the beginning so it would require you to watch some of them before seeing the show.....TV networks would love that one).

Honestly, this is a wonderful idea and would get the TV networks off Sonic|Blue/ReplayTV's butt. :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Instead of the Replay editing the show (who wants to give the networks more reasons to get uptight). Since the commercials are marked you can skip show segments instead of skipping commercials.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by NJChris
Instead of the Replay editing the show
There's no need to actually edit the data to make it appear to the user that the data has been reordered -- the box would simply need to automatically change between first skipping commercials and then skipping show (depending on where it was in the virtual playback).

However, having it as a separate play mode would be fine by me, especially if it was really easy to switch play modes at the "end screen". In this scenario, I could watch the program without commercials until the end, and then press something (Enter? Have Play pop up a menu with "Play,Play" selecting "replay in the current mode"?) that would switch to "Commericals Only" mode and go again. Having "Return to Live" be a "skip to next commercial" button would be a cool thing too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.