Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help.

There are many online sites that sell so called "commercial" plasma HDTVs; which they claim are functionally identical to a "consumer" version of the TV from the same manufacturers. A good example is the PlasmaExtreme (plasmaextreme.us) site which sells only commercial versions of Plasma HDTVs.

Can anyone provide some basic information on the differences, if any, about the consumer vs. commercial versions of manufacturers' TVs? There is one very obvious difference which I can tell and that is the price. The commercial units seem to priced, for a 50" screen, about $1,000 less. Aside from from perhaps an elegant frame what else am I NOT getting in the commercial units?

BTW: I have called Panasonic and asked the CSR what are the differences. She claimed that she knew nothing about the "commercial" units and couldn't tell me anything about the differences. I also searched the Panasonic for information about comparisons and found next to nothing.

Thanks

Robert from NJ

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The glass and electronics are identical. The main difference is the connectors on the back panel - on consumer/retail models they use RCA, on commercial they use BNC. So with commercial panels you need to use some BNC-RCA adaptors (available at Radio Shack and other electronics stores) or special BNC-RCA cables. The consumer models usually are a package that also includes a table stand, the commercial displays are standalone - you buy a stand separately. The newest consumer models have now added internal NTSC analog TV tuner and side speakers, the commercial models lack these but can either be purchased separately or use external devices like a VCR or cable box for a TV tuner. The service for repairs may differ between consumer and commercial panels too - like home vs. service center only service, check the warranty details for that. Some commercial models have extra features over the consumer models - like the newest Panasonic plasmas. On Panasonics new commercial models they have a 3 slot system for customizing inputs on add-on cards, with the consumer models they are not customizable. Also the new commercial Panasonic plasmas have features on the remote for adjusting picture size&position that was removed from the new consumer models.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are 4 differences between the Consumer model and the Industrial model Plasma Displays.

1. The Industrial unit is FCC Type A approved and the Consumer is Type B. This related to the amount of radiation and interference allowed. Consumer units have a thicker front glass filter to reduce the radiation.

2. Industrial units have BNC connectors while the Consumer units have RCA connectors.

3. Industrial units have 3 wire power cords, Consumer have two wire.

4. Industrial Plasmas do not come with any accessories, Consumer packages stands and speakers with some of their models.

Industrial units model numbers will be either TH-XXPWD or THXXPHD where the XX is the screen size of 37,42 or 50. Any other model numbers are consumer units and are supported by 800-211-7262.

Industrial units also have carry-in or ship-in servise. where the consumer models have in-home service

·
Registered
99 Posts
Interestingly, I spoke to a sales guy at a local electronics store who claimed that sometimes commercial models do not include some features such as some sort of motion adjustment to compensate for fast moving pictures (thereby resulting in ghosting in the commercial models when displaying fast scenes vs. no ghosting in the consumer models). Don't know how much truth there is to his claim. At the time, we were discussing Pannys, so the implication was that the Panny commercial unit lacked this feature while the consumer unit had it. AFAIK, however, I have been unable to verify his claim, at least with respect to Pannys, and everything I have read on the Pannys seems to indicate that the internal processing of images is exactly the same vis-a-vis commercial and consumer units, but there are other differences such as what ThumperBoy described (BNC v. RCA inputs, no tuner v. tuner, no speakers v. speakers, expandable slots v. no expandable slots, etc...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not heard about any motion adjustments setting in the industrial, except maybe the pulldown setting.

The expandable slot is a resent addition in the industrial plasmas ie the 6uy models It would surprise me if they add that slot to the consumer models.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I will add the following exception to the above statements for other brands.

The Pioneer industrial units PDP-433CMX and PDP-503CMX are FCC Class B units just like the consumer version PDP-5030HD / 4330 and PRO1000 / Pro800. Other Pioneer differences include (orignally) 8-bit processing in the Sharp made media box for the 5030 & 4330 (later changed to Pioneer made box - unsure if the processing changed) vs. 10-bit processing on the Pro1000, Pro800, 503CMX & 433CMX with the PDP-5002 card. The new PDP-5040 & 4340 with media box will have 10 bit processing.

Fujitsu only makes one model of 61" that is FCC Class A, yet is supported by their 3 year consumer warranty.

Other differences could include the Industrial models allowing for a 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 display wall, where the units are daisy chained together (composite output) and have menu settings for specifying which position each panel with represent in a ganged display (lower right corner, etc.). Advance menu settings in industrial.

The Panasonics (Industrial & consumer) all use the exact same power cord, and have been for several generations, they are all 3 prong.

Part # K2CG3DH00025

More cases of IR interference with remote controls and wireless headphones have been reported with FCC Class A Industrial units, but it is more of a rarity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this thread got some very quick and indeed helpful replies.

Out of all the potential differences cited there is only one that concerns me and that is the one regarding the amount of radiation emitted by the commercial models. Considering that in the home one sits about 10-12ft from the screen does this pose any long term health risk?

Aside from this it seems that the commercial versions may actually offer more for less in the long run as their design allows for some upgrades over time.

Two more questions:

1) Do the commercial versions have the same range of compatible interfaces (to things like PCs) as the consumer units.

2) I have read that some consumer units have "protection circuitry"...for example the ability to "dim" a bright image that remains static on the screen for too long, thus reducing chances of a burn-in of the image.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Still regarding the panny there are some additional differences among consumer / commercial.

Consumer WON'T accept 720p signals thru component, Consumer VGA input is located in front. Consumer has more available inputs and DVI is buit-in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The 2003 Panasonic consumer models have closed caption support (I think that it's part of having the NTSC tuner, but could be wrong); the commercial versions to do not have CC.

The consumer warranties are in-home; the commercial versions require getting the unit to a Panasonic service center that handles plasma displays. For me, the nearest one is an inconvenient 90 miles.

See this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=277308 for more info.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
LOL- And I was going to add..."you will not lose any additional hair, than you would normally, anyway."

The choices now with the latest Consumer vs. Industrial, all comes down to a variety of factors:

1.) Aesthetics

2.) Hook-up & specific planned usage (connections)

3.) Warranty

4.) Built-ins; speakers, tuner, media box, front panel access...

5.) B&M local vs. internet

Price may or may not be as important of a factor as it once was, depending on model and choices.

I feel the jury is still out on the newest models being identical PQ between Industrial & Consumer, not enough data yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some of the new consumer models (pannys at least) have dual tuners, so you get PIP. Can you split screen sources on the commercial to get this effect?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hyperion
Some of the new consumer models (pannys at least) have dual tuners, so you get PIP. Can you split screen sources on the commercial to get this effect?
Yes the Industrial can do PiP with different inputs.

this is only on the 6uy models. the 5uy does not support pip

The industrial does not have a tuner. so if yoiu want to watch 2 different tv channels you would need to different tunner sourses

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does the Consumer version have the 9 point digital zoom? I thought that was only on the Commercial model. I still don't know how useful/cool it is, but I'll be able to tell you tomorrow. The 50PHD6UY is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I've also read that the consumer Panny's (at least the 42") lack separate picture settings for each input. This was not the case in their previous consumer models.

-Steve

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The "radiation" is no different between the commercial and consumer models, its just the amount/cost of testing they perform. The emmission-testing is just for interference with RF devices like radios, its not a form of radiation that is harmful to humans!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The "radiation" is no different between the commercial and consumer models, its just the amount/cost of testing they perform. The emmission-testing is just for interference with RF devices like radios, its not a form of radiation that is harmful to humans!
Not quite sure I understand what you are saying here. But none-the-less there has always been (and continues to be) a different front filter on the industrial (class A) vs consumer (class B) Pannies.

Previous discussions along this line indicated various materials used in each 'front lens', 'front glass', 'front filter' (whatever you want to call it) to provide increase sheilding. I think it might have been TrainerDave from Fujitsu who explained it.

(I do agree- it's not harmful)

·
Registered
897 Posts
...read the FAQ...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My two cents: there's no difference technically. Why? I bought a third-gen Panasonic plasma consumer model. Labeled as consumer as such (the proper model name, etc.) on the outside of the box. Inside the box were two smaller boxes: the stand for the plasma, and a box containing the plasma -- labeled the commercial model #!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdryja
My two cents: there's no difference technically. Why? I bought a third-gen Panasonic plasma consumer model. Labeled as consumer as such (the proper model name, etc.) on the outside of the box. Inside the box were two smaller boxes: the stand for the plasma, and a box containing the plasma -- labeled the commercial model #!
Well, your situation must have been a rare occurance. There were two models - Series 3 models: TH-42PWD3U FCC Class A & TH-42PW3U with two separate manuals, and two separate parts lists. In the case of the series 3 - they came with BNC connections for both models.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.