AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are the commercials shown in 4:3 so black bars are on the sides? I have never had a burn-in issue, with my old CRT, but people seem to be more paranoid about that than ever, and since I just bought a new one maybe I should be more concerned than I was in the past.

·
2,429 Posts
Because they are in SD. Just the commercials wont burn in your set. Try to stretch the SD channels to fill the screen if you watch a lot of that.

PS. all the non- HD programs on the HD channels will be presented in 4:3 also.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I was always careful about that with my old set. Color, contrast and brightness levels were always set at about 50%. Color probably less even. and I never had a burn in issue. I stretch all the SD and also the 2:35 widescreen movies, so basically I never have any black bars except for the commercials on HD channels. Station logos are a different animal, but my kids would watch Nick, which has the huge logo in the bottom right, for hours and I never had burn in, but the logo does go away during frequent commercial breaks. I think the main burn in people get comes from news channels and the like, where the logo never goes away. My neighbor turns on the stock ticker for hours on end then wonders how he got burn in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.