AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 40GB PS3 for a little over a year. I have had the problems below and was wondering if I should use my Best Buy warranty to get it repaired or replaced?

1. Wireless signal - I get about 30% signal strength and the PS3 is about 35ft (almost line of sight) from my router. A laptop in the same area as the PS3 and gets about 80%.

2. Lockups - I have had the following lockup over the last year:

Tomb Raider Underworld - Froze multiple times and had graphical glitches other times. - 5 times total

Silent Hill Homecoming - Froze throughout the game. - 3 times total

Alone in the Dark - Froze during the demo - 2 times total

GTA4 - Started freezing during the beginning credits - 3 times total (a reinstall may have fixed it).

Blue Ray Discs - A few times movies would freeze before the main menu. - 2 times total

I can't seem to reproduce the glitches, but they seem more frequent than they should be. I have not played many other games on the PS3. Is my PS3 having issues or am I just playing buggy games? Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was never impressed with the wireless Internet speeds on my 40GB. Downloads were always painfully slow and way slower than my connection. Last month, I hooked up a DD-WRT router to my DirecTV box in gaming adapter mode and as an experiment, I hooked my PS3 up to it as well. Now the PS3 maxes out my connection.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Sounds like the blu-ray laser going out. There were a couple of months in 2007 when the 40 gb PS3s were built with bad lasers. It's fixable though. You can get a new laser assembly and fix it yourself for around $75, or send it to Sony for $150.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys.

I went through the process with an online agent and I have sent the unit in. The agent told me that I would receive a gift card in a few weeks with the purchase amount plus tax. I was under the impression that I had a PRP warranty. The literature said PRP on it, but on the receipt it says PSP. I bought the PS3 around June - 08 and the warranty was $59.99, did Best Buy offer a PSP warranty then? Or is the receipt mistaken?

I want to be sure they don't receive the unit, see the receipt and then have to have it repaired which could take who knows how long. Thanks

Teddy

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
you want the PRP, but they probably gave you a PSP,

I want a PRP slim

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyc23 /forum/post/17039635

I have had my 40GB PS3 for a little over a year. I have had the problems below and was wondering if I should use my Best Buy warranty to get it repaired or replaced?

1. Wireless signal - I get about 30% signal strength and the PS3 is about 35ft (almost line of sight) from my router. A laptop in the same area as the PS3 and gets about 80%.

2. Lockups - I have had the following lockup over the last year:

Tomb Raider Underworld - Froze multiple times and had graphical glitches other times. - 5 times total

Silent Hill Homecoming - Froze throughout the game. - 3 times total

Alone in the Dark - Froze during the demo - 2 times total

GTA4 - Started freezing during the beginning credits - 3 times total (a reinstall may have fixed it).

Blue Ray Discs - A few times movies would freeze before the main menu. - 2 times total

I can't seem to reproduce the glitches, but they seem more frequent than they should be. I have not played many other games on the PS3. Is my PS3 having issues or am I just playing buggy games? Thanks

I'm lucky to get about 80% signal strength and my PS3 is about 4 inches from my Linksys router.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
My 40GB wireless works fine; the PS3 is downstairs and wireless router is upstairs and separated by 4 walls and a staircase. COD4 and Fallout 3 have both locked up a few times. Blu-ray movies have never locked up.

How exactly are the movies freezing before the main menu? You mean it freezes during the credits? Or is it just loading?

Play good games.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.