AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What current sales pitches have you heard lately.

I was looking at displays today, for a coulda, shouda, woulda session. While looking at one of the Samsung led edge-lighted units, a salesman found me. I inquired local led and was answered that they had a display unit, however, the first sales pitch was that the unit is thicker than the edge-lighted, and CCFL models. I mentioned color gamut and a couple other of our pretentious requisites and he was clueless. If only there were an avs certification for knowledgeable employees.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisgreen /forum/post/16985698

I was looking at displays today, for a coulda, shouda, woulda session. While looking at one of the Samsung led edge-lighted units, a salesman found me. I inquired local led and was answered that they had a display unit, however, the first sales pitch was that the unit is thicker than the edge-lighted, and CCFL models. I mentioned color gamut and a couple other of our pretentious requisites and he was clueless. If only there were an avs certification for knowledgeable employees.

Still, from your description it may have been a step in the right direction... did he admit to being clueless, or did he try and fake his way through until you proved you knew more than he did?

·
Registered
640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisgreen /forum/post/16985698

I had a guy try to steer me away from the "LCD" Tv's to the new Samsung "LED" Tv's. I made the statement a "LED TV" was a "LCD TV" I received a LONG blank stare...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/16986918

Still, from your description it may have been a step in the right direction... did he admit to being clueless, or did he try and fake his way through until you proved you knew more than he did?

I believe the salesperson found me to be too difficult and immediately threw in the towel. I should apply to work there a couple days a week. They would sell more plasma sets because I would sell the kind that don't need to be refilled.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisgreen /forum/post/16987834

I believe the salesperson found me to be too difficult and immediately threw in the towel. I should apply to work there a couple days a week. They would sell more plasma sets because I would sell the kind that don't need to be refilled.

Oh, please. Stop spreading misinformation. ALL plasmas need to be refilled periodically, but that's a small concern compared to the fact that they're so dim that you can barely see the picture with a lightbulb on, or that if you leave a static picture for a couple seconds you'll have it on your screen forever. Come on! Everybody knows that, whereas LCD is the most problem-free, perfect, heaven-ordained display ever conceived of...

Yes, I jest

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/16987893

Oh, please. Stop spreading misinformation. ALL plasmas need to be refilled periodically, but that's a small concern compared to the fact that they're so dim that you can barely see the picture with a lightbulb on, or that if you leave a static picture for a couple seconds you'll have it on your screen forever. Come on! Everybody knows that, whereas LCD is the most problem-free, perfect, heaven-ordained display ever conceived of...

Yes, I jest

You forgot to mention how highly flammable/explosive the plasma gas is.

Edit: I forgot to mention its also radioactive.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog /forum/post/16987785

I had a guy try to steer me away from the "LCD" Tv's to the new Samsung "LED" Tv's. I made the statement a "LED TV" was a "LCD TV" I received a LONG blank stare...

I DO love doing that to them...

I've actually had my wife threaten to walk out of stores for the way I embarass the salepeople I catch lying to me...

If they don't know, and they admit it, while I'm annoyed, I let it go...

But I can't stand when they are so clearly lying to my face to try and make a sale and yet they insist the garbage they peddle is true....

·
Registered
640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/16990607

I DO love doing that to them...

I've actually had my wife threaten to walk out of stores for the way I embarass the salepeople I catch lying to me...

If they don't know, and they admit it, while I'm annoyed, I let it go...

But I can't stand when they are so clearly lying to my face to try and make a sale and yet they insist the garbage they peddle is true....

My wife just tells me I'm cute then calls me a dork for knowing more than the sales guys.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog /forum/post/16991926

My wife just tells me I'm cute then calls me a dork for knowing more than the sales guys.

Wanna trade? Mine gets all pissed at me for being rude to the guy that just tried to lie to me to make a sale by taking advantage of an undereducated, naive consumer...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Do plasmas need recharging or is it actually a transfusion? Always wondered about the correct terminology. When I get my plasma tv, I plan to keep a supply of compatible plasma in the fridge.

And my advice is to stay away from LEDS altogether. It is scientifically documented that extended viewing will burn your retinas and lead to blindness.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Hm lets see. i was just at besbuy.

1, BB dork- the new 65" and 58" panny s1's have been pushed to sept.

me- really, because you can get them online now-

BB dork, impossible, we always get items first.

me- ok

2, BB dork,- sitting 12 feet away froma 65" plasma will give you a headache.

me- really.

BB dork- yes, id go 50" plasma.

me- really.

bb dork- yes.

me- turned around and left.!!

lol....

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The worst sales pitch was a guy who tried to show me what a calibration difference looked like, then admitted the two examples was one tv was Hd, and one was SD.

I know there is a difference between calibrated and out the box, but sd vs hd to show what calibration can do? That's best buy for ya.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I visited a local HDTV store looking for a particular set. They didn't have it but the sales guy (also owner) offered to order one for me to look at, if I'd guarantee to buy it.

I asked if he was kidding and he wasn't.

I then informed him that they had the set on display down the street at two local chain stores but I wanted to give him a chance being a local merchant.

He just asked me again if I wanted him to order one.

At that point I understood why the little shops are little and left.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts