AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a DVD authoring house, producing more and more hollywood level titles. We tend to make very complex discs that push the limits of the DVD spec. We would like to test our discs on a variety of common DVD players, but it's both impractical and expensive to test hundreds of DVD players. It would seem logical that many DVD players use the same DVD logic chip sets (not MPEG decoder chip sets). Does anybody know where I can find a list of common DVD chip sets, and which players use them?

Jeremy

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Many manufacturers don' release info on what chips they use on newer models. I know Panasonic is now using some internal chip now, unlike their models in the past that used the excellent Faroudja chipset. Denon is pretty good about listing the info on their website, but that is now rare. So in the past it was true there was a limited number of de-interlacer chips used but now there appears to be a much larger number since Panasonic and others now use their own in-house design. So you may need to test on a lot of different players (both old and new) to do what you propose. Plus the MPEG decoder used can affect things like the chroma bug so it plays a part too.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Here is what I know: Toshiba and Samsung (except HD931 which has Faroudja) use Zoran chipset. Most cheaper oriental DVD players uses Mediamatic chipset. All new Panny now uses their own proprietary chipset. Panny RP91=Genesis, RP72/62/82/67=Faroudja. JVC uses their own chipset.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X6500H, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500, Martin Logan Speakers
429 Posts
Find the information you need in the DVD players shootout database on Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.