AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***This is not an offer to sell anything***

So, over the weekend I started a new discussion on this forum outlining a little experiment I was conducting with the AVS community involving my not-currently-being-used Sony G70. You can read a copy of the original post below. Shortly after posting the discussion, I received an email for the forum management that I was violating the forum rules by posting a "for sale" advertisement outside of the classifieds section. That was not my intent in any way. Because I saw this as more of a social experiment rather than a sales effort, I chose to put it in the CRT sub-forum.

Regardless, even in the short time the post was up, I received a number of inquiries. I wanted to start this new thread as a place to keep the AVS community updated on the experiments progress while also not violating any for-sale policies. I should have a willing participant from the group that already reached out to me, so this thread is more for informational purposes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgers

So, I have a very nice Sony G70 unit that I need to offload and I am going to do it in a very unique way. The first AVS Member, who has been a member for more than 6 months, can have the unit for whatever price they feel is appropriate. I'll tell you what I know about the unit (see below), you come pick it up take it home, set it up and enjoy, and then send me a check for whatever you think is a "fair" value. I will let the AVS community know who picked the unit up and how much they paid through this thread. If you get it home and think its worth $1,200, that's fine. If you think it's worth $12, that's fine as well. You pay me what you think is fair - no negotiations or commentary from me whatsoever. Yes, you will have the opportunity to screw me and pay me a small amount for a machine that has greater value. But, I think the AVS community is strong enough that having the price paid publicly disclosed will be enough motivation to not take complete advantage of my generosity. I could be wrong...

I would ask that the winning AVS-er post to this thread the actual hours of the machine, their commentary on the condition and, if possible, photos of the tubes. I will then post the price paid without any commentary on whether I think its a fair price or not. I'll leave that up to everyone else.

Why would I do this? Well, I have a very nice G70 that is currently crated up and not being used. That means that I can't get to it to turn on the unit and get the exact hours. It also means that I can't take photos of the tubes, etc.. These are all, as you well know, very important determinants in the units value. I, personally, know the unit has very low hours and is in exceptional shape, but I can't expect anyone else to put out their hard earned money based solely upon my recollection. So, you get an opportunity to bring the unit home, test it out and then pay what you think its worth.

Here's what I know about the unit: I bought it in 2004 from Terry in Atlanta. I believe it had about 2,000 hours then and Terry had replaced all three tubes with new non-Sony tubes. I believe he also completed a fan mod that allowed the unit to run cooler and quieter. I put about +/-500 hours on it before I moved in 2007. It was professionally packed for the move and has been in a wood crate ever since. It has a first generation Moome HDMI board in it, which works great. The case is in very good shape. I can't remember any specific scratches, dings or dents so any that exist would be very minor. The only know issue I have with the unit is that the front IR receiver doesn't work for some reason. The back one works just fine. I ran the unit at 1080p on a 110" StudioTek 130 screen and it was as crisp and clear as you could ever want. I also have a working remote for the unit.

I do have a ceiling mount which I will offer for purchase to the lucky AVS-er. It is not included in the "set your own price" experiment.

Overall, it is/was a phenomenal machine and deserves a good home. I just don't have the space for it in the new house.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update 1: Well, it looks like my interested parties have decided to not be so interested. Nothing related to the unit, but I'm still back to square 1...

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
You may as well ebay it staign all you have here and start an auction at 1.00 and see what happens. Youll off load it and be done with it all at the same time. You wull either screw your self sellign it so low or wind up makign a good amoutn of money.

Just put up a stock photo and say what you said here....for 1.00 it would be worth bidding...Of course shipping is another story unless you just do local pick up only

your out nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Much as I am interested in this AVS community social experiment, that I live as far afield as London, England (UK) stands in the way, let alone being a new member (just joined about a week ago). And I'm gobsmacked!!!, if you are able to please get me a shipping quote, who knows it may/may not make economic sense to consider giving your G70 a new home.

I currently have a D50HTU.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vic -

You are right, I could just Ebay it with a low starting point and see what I get. However, that doesn't solve the problem I have in marketing this. An Ebay buyer will only be willing to pay a lower amount because they can't verify that it is a great machine. Once the Ebay transaction closes, that's the end of it. I know once someone gets this in their house and dialed in they are going to say "holy crap this machine is worth $X!", which will hopefully be a higher number.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Yea your right but everybody today is looking for deals. They want what they cant afford.

So someone will get it home and be blown away and want to give you their lowest amount since your asking for a fair price....Whats going to happen when they get in their home and their fair price is lower then what you think is a fair price....

Same thing as above responce right? you got rid of it and someone got a bargain. You are definetly looking for a CRT guy that knows about the projector and what its really worth but even then I think they would be bargin hunting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vic - The other issue with this experiment and Ebay-ing the machine is that there is no ebay "community". Part of what would hopefully "keep someone (me included) honest and fair" is that they are part of a community and not an anonymous username somewhere out in the ether (ebay).

I have to admit that I am very surprised by the lack of interest. I guess it just goes to show how far out of favor CRT machines have gone.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgers  /t/1416282/community-experiment-with-avs-ers#post_22184712

I have to admit that I am very surprised by the lack of interest. I guess it just goes to show how far out of favor CRT machines have gone.

Me too. Hard to believe how times are changing. I like the whole idea you have come up with, and if it makes you feel any better I would be interested in making an offer if I had the means; however I don't live close by and don't think I could fit another CRT projector in my place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts