AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to Maximize your UTV. Run to CompUSA and buy a 160 Western Digital for $129.00.

$100.00 manufactor rebate

$70.00 Instant Store Rebate

You will only waste 23 MB, that's better then using a 180 Gig.

WD1600JBRTL

Rebate ends today!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The specs on thsi drive indicate 8MB cache. Thought this was a bad thing. will 8MB cache work or ws this model number a misprint. All previous threads read indicated 2MB cache was only one that worked. Plz advise..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Handyman
The specs on thsi drive indicate 8MB cache. Thought this was a bad thing. will 8MB cache work or ws this model number a misprint. All previous threads read indicated 2MB cache was only one that worked. Plz advise..

To upgrade a UTV, you need the new drive to support ATA security. When people started doing the upgrade in Jan 2002, the WD120BB was the only make and model that consistently had the security enabled off the shelf. Everything else was hit or miss. As a result, when people asked which drive to buy, they were told to avoid all the 8MB cache drives. It wasn't that the 8MB cache drives wouldn't work, but you couldn't be sure and it was an easy way to avoid restocking fees on returns. Slowly, we are starting to see more drives, from more makers, have the security enabled and work right out of the box. People are reporting all kinds of drives working now, the same models that used to bomb everytime in the past.

If you have a drive you want to use, but aren't sure if the security is enabled, do a search here for IBM Drive Fitness Test and follow the instruction in that thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was able to successfully upgrade to a 160GB Western Digital JB HD.

Keep in mind this was with a P3 card and 3.5 OS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help, I installed a new 120GB western Digital (8MB Cache). It gets to the WebTv screen for updates. It gets to the connecting screen and stays there ...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFrodo
Help, I installed a new 120GB western Digital (8MB Cache). It gets to the WebTv screen for updates. It gets to the connecting screen and stays there ...
It's a common problem. You either have a noisy phoneline in your house or need to dial a different number. First try using another phone jack. If that doesn't work, you need to force it use a different dialup number. That involves unplugging the phoneline as UTV starts to dial the bad number. Use the search tool here to get exact instructions for using a new number. Good luck..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been wanting to upgrade my UTVs hard drive & I took advantage of CompUSA's deal for $130 after rebate & upgraded!!! The only hitch I had (which many of you have had) was connecting with the server for the download (fixed by unhooking phone line several times until it found local number that would take). It now says that I have recording compacity of variable up to 110 hrs. It downloaded 3.5 over phone line & I had 3.7 for a few days on old drive & I'm sure I will have 3.7 downloaded again when it detects that I have 3.5! Seems to be working great. Waiting for all of program guide & local channels to return!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to let you all know that I was able to successfully upgrade my UTV with a WD160JBRTL from Comp USA for $129.00 after rebate.

The easiest thing I have ever done!

At the beginning I decided to put a Jumper on the drive and make a Master, It gave me a technical error message. I removed the Jumper and everything worked wonderfully. There was no NEED for Jumper setting.

297 blocks took like 3 hours to download...it failed once and I reconnected it, it picked up where it left off.

I now have 110 hours !

To my surprise, I got 3.7 HURRA !!!

I have a p4

Drive info:

WD160JBRT

LBA:312581808

P/n WD1600JB-00DVA1

Thanks for all the help !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.