AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So i just bought the pioneer andrew jones bookshelf speakers and the center channel speaker. I have a 1950's stereo console I am putting them inside. I didn't measure before hand because the center looks small in pictures, but found out it's too wide for the console. There is no way to make it wider unfortunately. I need to find a center speaker under 16 inches wide. the depth is 16 inches and height is 8 inches, so most of them should be fine there. it's the width i am fighting with. I did find the Yamaha NS-C210BL Center Channel Speaker, Black which is 13.5" but has 3.5" speakers, not sure how good this will sound compared to the pioneer. I also found a polk audio TL1 which is 15" and has 2 x 4.5" speakers. Does any have any experience with these? I haven't received the bookshelf speakers, so i could send them back if needed. because of my living room layout my only option is a 3.0 setup right now. I didn't want to go sound bar because every sound bar i have tried the voices just suck on them. I want the dialogue to be crisp and and be able to hear those bullets drop and rain drop in movies. I use to have a paradigm setup like this but the center channel was huge. So any suggest for a new center to match the pioneer or a different 3.0 with bookshelf would be very much appreciated. im trying to hide all the speakers in that cabinet so it looks older but sounds more modern for movies. music is a 2nd so im not too worried about music.

if you have any questions that could help please let me know

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You're really limiting yourself by requiring it fit inside the cabinet and the odds are that you'll be compromising some sound quality as well due to reflections/boundaries. Most smaller centers will be ported so putting them inside an enclosure will hamper their performance.

As far as soundbars go I had the Andrew Jones-designed Pioneer SP-SB23W and was very pleased with it for what it was.

·
Registered
23,600 Posts
So i just bought the pioneer andrew jones bookshelf speakers and the center channel speaker. I have a 1950's stereo console I am putting them inside. I didn't measure before hand because the center looks small in pictures, but found out it's too wide for the console. There is no way to make it wider unfortunately. I need to find a center speaker under 16 inches wide. the depth is 16 inches and height is 8 inches, so most of them should be fine there. it's the width i am fighting with.
You're actually dodging a bullet by not using the AJ center, it's the single most complained about center speaker on this forum despite all the glowing shill reviews online.

The RSL CG23 is a good option, though it only goes down to 85Hz.

A better option in my opinion would be the Ascend 200SE, which gives you an addition 15Hz of mid-bass extension, and can be ordered as a single for around $170 shipped.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
The answer for me is simple -- send the Pioneer speakers back -- and buy the DCM TP160S speakers ... buy 2 pair and use one of the second pair as a center and turn it sideways, it will fit ... you will have one spare speaker, which is cool .... the prices are crazy good and there will be good clarity, voice articulation, bass, and dynamics

Two pairs will be under $170 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5...W-RMS-TP160S-CH-DCM-by-MTX-Audio/193084846113

·
Registered
23,600 Posts
@[email protected]

Yep, if you can return the Pioneer speakers that would be the best option. Don't believe all the shill reviews gushing about them online. The L/R speakers might be ok for music if you like a very "warm" presentation, but for HT/TV they are not dynamic/detailed enough.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Hey guys,

So i just bought the pioneer andrew jones bookshelf speakers and the center channel speaker. I have a 1950's stereo console I am putting them inside. I didn't measure before hand because the center looks small in pictures, but found out it's too wide for the console. There is no way to make it wider unfortunately. I need to find a center speaker under 16 inches wide. the depth is 16 inches and height is 8 inches, so most of them should be fine there. it's the width i am fighting with. I did find the Yamaha NS-C210BL Center Channel Speaker, Black which is 13.5" but has 3.5" speakers, not sure how good this will sound compared to the pioneer. I also found a polk audio TL1 which is 15" and has 2 x 4.5" speakers. Does any have any experience with these? I haven't received the bookshelf speakers, so i could send them back if needed. because of my living room layout my only option is a 3.0 setup right now. I didn't want to go sound bar because every sound bar i have tried the voices just suck on them. I want the dialogue to be crisp and and be able to hear those bullets drop and rain drop in movies. I use to have a paradigm setup like this but the center channel was huge. So any suggest for a new center to match the pioneer or a different 3.0 with bookshelf would be very much appreciated. im trying to hide all the speakers in that cabinet so it looks older but sounds more modern for movies. music is a 2nd so im not too worried about music.

if you have any questions that could help please let me know
Well....That C22 is not a stellar performer to begin with so it not fitting in the cubby hole is actually working in your favor. As mentioned, stuffing it the cubby hole can and likely will affect performance. Going with a larger center on top of the cabinet would provide best results. There are TV risers available at reasonable prices if need be. The TV can be placed on top of the center as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well....That C22 is not a stellar performer to begin with so it not fitting in the cubby hole is actually working in your favor. As mentioned, stuffing it the cubby hole can and likely will affect performance. Going with a larger center on top of the cabinet would provide best results. There are TV risers available at reasonable prices if need be. The TV can be placed on top of the center as well.
I know it would be better on top of the cabinet, but im going for a certain look as well and it would block the tv if it was on top. I am basically making an old console have a function again while keep the original look.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I know it would be better on top of the cabinet, but im going for a certain look as well and it would block the tv if it was on top. I am basically making an old console have a function again while keep the original look.
I do get it, but if you want it to sound good, center on top. If you want it to look nice, center in the cubby hole. If you want the best of both worlds, you will need to modify your budget.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunately the opening is exactly 16 inches, so it has to be under 16 inches. Sucks because there is so many good ones out there. Hard to find them under 16 inches.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
use one of the second pair as a center and turn it sideways,
How does it sound on its side?

I've read on here on numerous occasions that frequency dispersion can get all out of whack when using a typical tweeter-mid type bookshelf on its side, which is why most center speakers are M-T-M type.

Alas, it appears that the OP is going to have all sorts of other potential sound issues, given his placement restrictions, so maybe putting a bookshelf on its side isn't going to matter much, regardless...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I've read on here on numerous occasions that frequency dispersion can get all out of whack when using a typical tweeter-mid type bookshelf on its side, which is why most center speakers are M-T-M type.

Alas, it appears that the OP is going to have all sorts of other potential sound issues, given his placement restrictions, so maybe putting a bookshelf on its side isn't going to matter much, regardless...
yeah that is what I was thinking as well. I would rather have a true center channel speaker for that reason.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

It sounds good and it doesn't have that second mid to interfere and cause some cancellations with the other mid, where both are radiating at the same time.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
yeah that is what I was thinking as well. I would rather have a true center channel speaker for that reason.
I have owned both types, and the TP160S does work and works better than some MTM centers -- and sounds better than some budget Polk speakers and some entry level Paradigm and Klipsch centers that I have owned -- however, your call

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I know it would be better on top... I am basically making an old console have a function again while keep the original look.
A worthwhile goal, but you asked a bunch of self-styled audiophiles and we tend to be immune to functional requirements we can't hear. There are a bunch of audible issues with small CC's in tight spaces, and no good options this side of co-axial drivers. You don't have enough space, so live with the trade-off and be happy.

... use one of the second pair as a center and turn it sideways, it will fit...
It sounds good and it doesn't have that second mid to interfere and cause some canceliations with the other mid, where both are radiating at the same time.
For the record, this option is as bad as a widely-spaced MTM. It is true that MTM mids interfere from about 1KHz up, so through the crossover. It is also true that the mid and tweeter do the same thing around the crossover frequency, so just a little higher, and with the same damaging off-axis results.

The trick is that both MTM and TM are designed to be upright in use, so the holes in frequency response can be aimed at the ceiling and floor, not at the listener. There is no advantage to a sideways TM, unless the designer has customized it for that application. I only know of one case, Zaph's SR-71. You'd have to look up the CC version.... and it won't fit.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html

Have fun,
Frank

1 - 20 of 37 Posts