AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently visited Bose shop and was impressed wight he quality to Companion™ 5 Multimedia Speaker System, the form factor and the sound.

But pun reading various posts on this website, I have decided to look for other alternative, currently I have logitech 2.1 speaker but they do not sound great.

Can any please suggest good computer motor alternatives, that will please my ears. Approximate budget not to exceed $500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes computer and djing speakers.

Learning Dj'ing

Now if I need to buy a subwoofer, than it will be more expensive than the Bose. correct?

I need good sound. Audiophile quality.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamose  /t/1520969/companion-5-multimedia-speaker-system-equivalent#post_24441503

yes computer and djing speakers.

Learning Dj'ing

Now if I need to buy a subwoofer, than it will be more expensive than the Bose. correct?

I need good sound. Audiophile quality.
Bose is not set-up for DJing or learning DJing, and its no where near audiophile quality. Its set-up for people that don't know any better and think bose is the best and just want simple computer speakers that look cool. The subwoofer driver size in the bose is 5.25"(No where near the size of a true subwoofer driver)..... The mid range drivers on the AudioEngine speakers are 5" themselves.

You gave yourself a $500 budget. My recommendation total price was $503.95 with subwoofer. You don't necessary need a subwoofer to start.

Some other options for you is to go to your local Guitar Center and look at their active studio monitors.

- Mackie MR8mk3 8" 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor is an option in your price range at $220/each, $440/pair

- Behringer TRUTH B2031A Active 2-Way Reference Studio Monitor , is another option in your price range at $230/each, $460/pair

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your quick response and proposed alternatives.

The more options your provide the more confused I get. There are several posts on this website which talk about bose and superior products, but with multiple options I am confused and would request to nail down one system that is the bang for the buck.

Please note, which ever system I buy, I will be using it for at least 6 to 8 years.

I was impressed with Bose 2.1 channel, which is no longer in production.

I want a good stereo sound system for music listening. I spend considerable amount of time on my mac and its imperative to have audiophile quality or as close as possible.

If I need to increase my budget I am willing to do so, I can stitch unto $1,000 but real estate in my house is limited.

Jewel cube, looks awesome. Any alternative to Bose JewelCube?

Please suggest a unit that will meet my requirmeent.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
$1,000 will get you a great 2.1 speaker set

This would be just for listening to music no need for surround sound capability in the future right. Any need for bluetooth or AirPlay connection?

Keep in mind this is the Audio version of the forum those us here who care focus more on the sound a speaker puts out than how it looks. But if you want to buy a speaker on looks alone go for Bose. But if you want superior sound you have come to the right place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not a movie buff. I love stereo sound.

Please suggest the best i can get. Very basic Stereo sound, no add ons such as airplay, bluetooth or network capability is required. Pure high quality audio with decent real estate foot print.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Well for a receiver I like the Factory Refurbished Denon AVR-1613 . It does have some features that you don't need but for your budget its a great buy and leaves you some more money to spend on speakers.

There are many bookshelf speakers out there which are worth checking out in your budget. I would recommend going to a local hifi store and listening to some of what they have there.

Some other options are from internet direct companies. Like the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 SE or the http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Bookshelf-Speakers]HTD Level THREE Bookshelf Speakers[/URL].

Both these companies have a satisfaction guarantee so you can listen to them in your home and if you are not a fan you can return them in 30days.

As for subwoofers it really depends on your room size but since you have a focus on music I would suggest something like the SVS-SB1000 or HSU STF-2 .

SVS is over your budget if you get the the CBM-170's, but they do offer a longer warranty, and upgrade policy that lets you return your subwoofer in first year for full value to get a bigger model, and a 45 day satisfaction guarantee..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
confusion.

I rather go powered monitor speaker, instead of investing into an amplifier.

Please provide the best recommendation.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamose  /t/1520969/companion-5-multimedia-speaker-system-equivalent#post_24445841

confusion.

I rather go powered monitor speaker, instead of investing into an amplifier.

Please provide the best recommendation.
Go to guitar center and listen to what they have there. Find what appeals to you and works for you. Look at monitors from companies like Mackie, KRK, Genelecs, Dynaudio and Adams. Bring some of your own music that you know how it should sound. Personally I have a few songs that I know their sonic characteristics so thats what I use to demo speakers.

I only have experience with Behringer B2031a's from a college buddy who was the DJ in my fraternity. Those were the speakers he had in his room. They are a budget/beginner's model for you and not widely regarded with those that can spend more money. However most of my friends money when to his deck and mixer.

Keep in mind these Studio Monitors are for near field listening.

Some videos that might point you in the right direction

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamose  /t/1520969/companion-5-multimedia-speaker-system-equivalent#post_24447924

Upon viewing the video - Event 20/20 was stated as one of the best. Whats your comment.

I currently reside in Dubai and will be visiting Houston for short business trip. The objective is to order in a monitor speaker which I can carry back. Can you please recommend the best one?

http://www.amazon.com/Event-Active-Nearfield-Studio-Monitor/dp/B005H6XKL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394136602&sr=8-1&keywords=event+20%2F20

I am a fan of Event 20/20 - Event makes some nice/good stuff

They are sold as each

1 - 12 of 12 Posts