AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a new-ish product from Compaq (I know there are some others out there (Kenwood) that store and sort CD's in MP3 format. This one will store the equivalent of about 400 CDs and uses Open Globe? Open House? on line service to catalog/organize music. Is there any AVS forum member who owns the Compaq or similar unit who wishes to share their experiences? How about those of you who have built your own music server? Is this the right forum for a thread like this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I too am pondering a similar dilema...

I have more than sufficent knowledge to build my own player... That's not the problem.

The problem's the software to interface to a tv. (the webjukebox software is okay and a step in the right direction, but is still lacking).

First of all, you need IR control. This really isnt a problem, as there are many programmable IR controls out there. All you need is to assign a key sequence to each button on the remote. (IE. pressing the next button on the remote causes the pc to send a Ctrl-Alt-N keyboard command)

Now, the problem. How can i easily interface this in an ARQ style? The arq and escient boxes both have gorgeous easy interfaces that were designed with this in mind. Is there any software that does this? What oses does it run on (some users may have a hard time with linux... i can use it fairly well (i use debian potato, simply because I can install it over floppies only...long story). Win2k (and macos on my mac, respectively :) is my primary os that i work with. quite a few obvious reasons for that ?

Anyhow... back to my original topic:

Software - Where?

--

orang :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're really interested in this type of player, you should pony up and buy one. You'll come to enjoy the many aspects of the interface that make it so friendly and usable that you'd simply miss out on by using a PC or other homemade solution. Furthermore you'll experience high quality sound, automatic upgrades and updates for new features and formats, and in the case of the AudioReQuest, the ability to make your own custom software using our SDK. And ... if you don't like it, all of these systems are very marketable (ebay or otherwise).

As for off the shelf software... your not too likely to find any. These embedded systems can take years to develop with a sophisticated team of developers. Only with the sale of hardware can a company begin to recoup their software investment. Remember that most of these systems run with real time embedded operating systems (in the case of AudioReQuest, it is QNX). These systems are much more stable in the end, but are also more difficult to develop in. Tivo uses a stripped version of Linux, and some of the Open Globe devices use psos. My guess is that if you do find anything, it'll be so limited that you'll probably end up happier plunking your laptop down in your living room.

Basically, no matter which digital music system and price range happens to be within your means, I highly recommend it. I don't think you'll ever go back to your PC as your music source again.

Zach Piech

ReQuest Multimedia

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me ask you this. Is there any copy protection device on the S/PDIF out of these units that would stop you from making a real time copy via an outboard CD buring with digital inputs? I would think once you've loaded much of your library into such a device and the actual CD's have migrated to the car, another room, disc drive on the PC etc... that it would be just as convenient to make copies from the music server. This would add value to the capability of creating customized playlists also.

This issue is not directly addressed by any literature which I have read on Compaq, Kenwood or your unit (though I have not seen a company brouchure care to send me one? D.F. Simmons, PO Box 4375, Portsmouth, NH 03802).

Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been trying to learn more about these machines. First read about the Integra HDR and have learned about another 7 - 8 machines ranging from 500 to 5000. My main concern at this point comes down to the storage capacity. The promo stuff for this type of equip hypes the 400 - 800+ cds, but they then tell you that if you want them at CD quality its more like 40 - 80 cds. Will i notice the difference on my system? NAD T761 through boston surrounds and sub? I'm no audiophile, I like my system, but really cannot hear the diff btwn regular cables and the expensive cables. maybe too many year of loud music. so, am i going to be dissatisfied listening to MP3 format playback?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been trying to learn more about these machines. First read about the Integra HDR and have learned about another 7 - 8 machines ranging from 500 to 5000. My main concern at this point comes down to the storage capacity. The promo stuff for this type of equip hypes the 400 - 800+ cds, but they then tell you that if you want them at CD quality its more like 40 - 80 cds. Will i notice the difference on my system? NAD T761 through boston surrounds and sub? I'm no audiophile, I like my system, but really cannot hear the diff btwn regular cables and the expensive cables. maybe too many year of loud music. so, am i going to be dissatisfied listening to MP3 format playback?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The only way to tell is to listen. On my portable MP3 player, I can't tell the difference between 96kbps and anything higher. But when I hook up a player to my sound system, I think that I can hear improved quality at each step up to 192kbps. There was enough of a difference that I changed my default rip preferences to 192kbps; I can down-convert for the mobile player.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.